Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Calling or sending text whilst abroad

TwoHoots
4: Newbie

I live abroad and have a Vodafone PAYG UK account. I am unable to call a Spanish number or send a text to a Spanish number (namely my husband) from this phone. I've looked at the settings and from what I can tell I should be allowed to do this. But when I put it to the test the red triangle comes up. Can anyone shed any light on this please.

8 REPLIES 8

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi @TwoHoots  are you adding the correct dialling code for Spain +34 ?

Yes I am. All my contacts are set up with the international dialling code

63johnw

@TwoHoots  Then the only things I can think of is no credit? The phone hasn’t been used for too long or as @AnnS  has suggested you have been blocked for roaming beyond the limit Vodafone have set?  

I have plenty of credit- that was the first thing that I checked. I don't see that Vodafone should set limits. You're either on roaming or you're not. I wondered whether it was the settings so I played around with those this morning and all the things I need ie access to outgoing calls and outgoing messages are off. When I changed them to ON the message I received said they would be blocked so I changed the settings back. That's why I asked the question initially as maybe I was misunderstanding the settings.

AnnS

Hi @TwoHoots 

I can assure you there was certainly no scolding for not using a Spanish SIM, just trying to suggest a reason for you being unable to call and text in Spain.

In all fairness to Vodafone there has to be a roaming fair usage policy and they do make it quite clear in the T & C's that roam free is only for short periodic travel and with it being a UK service, you are expected to return to the UK.

If you are able to contact Vodafone they will have the necessary account access, at least then you will know the reason for the problems with your UK SIM.

OK, thank you. I will try that.

AnnS

Hi @TwoHoots 

If you are permanently living in Spain, you should be using a Spanish network SIM.

Looking back on your previous posts, you have been in Spain roaming on a UK SIM card for some time, Vodafone do make it quite clear in all the Terms and Conditions, that roam free is only intended for short periodic travel such as holiday use.  It's surprising after all this time that you have not already had all services restricted. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the reason for you seeing the red restricted triangle when you are trying to call your Husbands Spanish number phone.

However, if you are able to contact Vodafone through the Customer Service channels, they will be able to look at your account.

I feel like I am beinhg scolded for not having a Spanish phone!!!! I have a UK phone for when I visit the UK and I do have a Spanish phone but when one of us is out we have to take either a UK or Spanish phone with us, hence the problems that I have encountered when I've tried to use the UK phone to either ring or text.