cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can a British citizen visiting the UK, buy and top up a PAYG sim without a UK address.

DHLawrence
3: Seeker

My sister is visting the UK and Europe soon and doesn't know if she is allowed to buy and top up a PAYG sim, because her British Passport has her australian residential address on it, and she is not going to have an address in the UK because she is just visiting. 

So in a nutshell, do you have to have an address in the UK to buy or top up PAYG sims?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

63johnw
17: Community Champion
Hi. No she doesn't need a UK address for PAYG. She just needs to go to a store or anywhere that supplies them, get one and top up and off she goes.

Make sure her phone is network unlocked to allow it to be used on other networks.

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

63johnw
Hi. No she doesn't need a UK address for PAYG. She just needs to go to a store or anywhere that supplies them, get one and top up and off she goes.

Make sure her phone is network unlocked to allow it to be used on other networks.

BandOfBrothers

It may also be beneficial to.check the phone supports the frequencies and bands that Vodafone UK use. 

Google for the specs of the phone. 

Frequencies used on the Vodafone UK network

Frequency Protocol Class

900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE 2G

1800 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE. LTE[17][18] 2G/4G

900 MHz UMTS/HSDPA/HSPA+/DC-HSPA+ 3G

2100 MHz UMTS/HSDPA/HSPA+/DC-HSPA+. LTE[18] 3G/4G

800 MHz LTE 4G

2600 MHz LTE Advanced 4G

In the 4G auction, Vodafone secured 800MHz (band 20) and 2600MHz (band 7).

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

DHLawrence
Thanks for the information. I checked and Vodafone Australia says that they do not lock the iPhones they sell/provide, so her phone isn't network locked

DHLawrence
I am going to assume apple doesn't make different iPhones for each country and carrier so I'm guessing she will be fine with her iPhone 7 and those frequencies.

63johnw
If it's an iPhone it should be ok.

If possible she could try a different network sim whilst in Australia just to confirm it is unlocked, be a shame if she got here and had problems.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@DHLawrence

Just a footnote, largely because I can't resist the temptation of corresponding with D H Lawrence!

If your sister goes into a Vodafone store, they will probably want to register the SIM to her, and it would probably be as well if she was ready-primed with a UK postal address, albeit a temporary one. The address of a hotel or guest-house where she is staying in the UK should be fine!

On a visit to Aus a couple of years back, I purchased a Telstra PAYG SIM from one of their stores, and they wanted a local address from me, but were quite content to take the address of the self-catering complex I was staying in.

Three other things to note: 

1. In the UK, I believe it is only iPhones supplied by Apple which remain network-unlocked. Other iPhones lock to the network of the first SIM inserted into them. In case the same applies to iPhones in Australia, your sister should definitely do as @63johnw recommends, and make sure that the phone works with a SIM from a network other than Vodafone AU.

2. If your sister is moving on to other parts of Europe, and aiming to use the same SIM, she will be "roaming" - so will need to be aware of the Before You Leave section of http://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/costs/travelling-abroad/ in terms of making sure that the phone isn't barred for roaming, and being adequately topped up to cover the costs of roaming (same page). It will depend very much on her likely levels of usage of data, UK minutes and texts what is the most suitable bundle, but a good point to start is here.

3. Calling home to Aus could get very expensive - see this page - unless she opts in to Vodafone International, which would reduce the cost of a call to a landline from £1.50 to 5p per minute. Unfortunately they've just made some 'helpful' changes to the page, as a result of which I at any rate find it very difficult to make head or tail of, but the basic trick is to call 36888 and opt in - for PAYG there isn't a monthly charge!

DHLawrence
@Annie_N
Thanks for the extra information. She has been looking the various bundles and factoring in the what happens when she goes to the continent but will go into a uk Vodafone shop and make sure she gets the right thing. Also she isn't going to be trying to ring Australia, she will just FaceTime with the free WiFi when she can.
Anyway she is going to do the SIM card check thing just to be sure.
But Vodafone Australia does state very clearly on their website. that there is no locking of the iPhones they provide.

Ps in response to your footnote that is actually my name, just happens to be shorten to be the same as the famous writer