cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can't Receive Calls on Newly Activated PayGo Lines--Outgoing Calls and Data work Fine

chiukarenk
2: Seeker

I activated two SIM cards in preparation for a trip to Europe. I funded the cards, set them up, and added Vodafone International. I did all of this online, after setting up accounts (which required being able to receive a text on the phones).

■ I can make calls just fine.

■ I can receive texts just fine.

■ I can use data just fine.

But I cannot receive calls at all.

I spent hours on the phone with Vodafone support and then more hours in online chat. They threw up their hands.

■ I've tried the SIMs in different phones.

■ I've tried changing the mobile network that it connects to in the U.S.. (AT&T versus T-Mobile).

■ I've reset the network APN (at the request of support) even though data works fine.

■ I've tried barring then unbarring roaming.

■ I am placing the call properly with the international access code and the country code and without the leading 0 in the phone number.

■ When I place a call to the phones with the Vodafone SIM cards I get the recording: "Sorry it is not been possible to connect your call" in a nice English accent.

One person said that I had to activate the SIM card in the U.K., not while roaming. I suppose that's possible, but the activation went fine and I can text and use data and make calls just fine. I am not going to the U.K. on this trip.

Thank you in advance for any ideas.

4 REPLIES 4

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @chiukarenk 

As you have rightly found PAYG SIM cards need to connect to the local network in the UK to fully activate.  I am also not quite sure how you have managed to add credit to the SIM, this would have needed to be done using a UK card registered to a UK address.

Vodafone International is only for making calls to certain overseas numbers from the UK, it is not for making calls in a EU destination. There is further information here: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/costs/calling-abroad-from-the-uk/

As far as your roaming is concerned, you will find the information here where you will be able to check your destination: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/global-roaming

If receiving calls is important to you, it may be better to get a SIM card for the country you are visiting, this will be dependant on your phone accepting the foreign SIM .

@AnnS wrote:

Hi @chiukarenk 

As you have rightly found PAYG SIM cards need to connect to the local network in the UK to fully activate.  I am also not quite sure how you have managed to add credit to the SIM, this would have needed to be done using a UK card registered to a UK address.

I used a U.S. credit card to add funds on one SIM, and Paypal on the other SIM. No U.K. address was needed. But on one call to Vodafone they did put in some kind of default address.

Vodafone International is only for making calls to certain overseas numbers from the UK, it is not for making calls in a EU destination. There is further information here: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/costs/calling-abroad-from-the-uk/

As far as your roaming is concerned, you will find the information here where you will be able to check your destination: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/global-roaming

Interesting, because I asked that specific question when I called, "is Vodafone International good for calls from other EU countries back to the U.S. or just from the UK back to the U.S.?" and I was told that it was for calls from EU countries as well. I was unsure if the agent really knew the answer and it sounds like she did not. With U.S. carriers sometimes you need to call customer service several times and ask the same question to see if you get the same answer, but I didn't do this in this case.

If receiving calls is important to you, it may be better to get a SIM card for the country you are visiting, this will be dependant on your phone accepting the foreign SIM .

Since data is working I will just use Google Voice for calls. I just spent a week in China with a data-only SIM card from Hong Kong, and used Google Voice extensively. Well data works on one of the two SIM cards now, originally it worked on both, not sure what happened. Both can still make calls.

The Vodafone prepaid SIM cards are widely sold on Amazon's U.S. site and there is no mention that they must be activated in the U.K.. They are marketed as working all over the EU, which I guess they do, as long as you start first in the U.K., which they should really explicitly state. This is not Vodafone's fault, other than the SIM card packaging should explain this fact.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying the situation, so I won't waste any more time on this issue.

chiukarenk

After many online chats, and many calls, I finally got both of my lines working completely and can now make and receive calls, make and receive texts, and use data.

I don't know what they did, but I lucked into getting an online representative who knew exactly what to do on one line. Then she gave me a chat ID which I referred to for the other line and they were able to duplicate whatever they did.

The Vodafone Pay Go 1 plan is a very good plan for short trips to the EU. 500MB/day is more than enough data. Also, apparently the SIM doesn't expire so you can use it for trips spaced at wide intervales as long as you make one call or text every six months.

On one line they gave me some credit back to the account because I used up so much money trying to get this all working.

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@chiukarenk I'm really pleased to hear this has been resolved for you and all your services are back up and running! It's great that your experience has been turned around and this has been resolved. We're always here if you need anything else at all 🙂