Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can't send text to Eire

JaneReed
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a Vodafone Smart Prime 7 phone. When trying to send a text to my friend in Eire, it fails.  It also fails if I reply to her text which I receive OK.  Why??  I have no problem with sending UK texts.

9 REPLIES 9

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @JaneReed

The code for Eire is +353, you also need to drop the 0.  For example, calling the UK from Eire would be +4471234567.... Try sending as a new text and not part of the previous conversation.  You also need to check your online account for any restriction bars, there should be a bar for calling and texting abroad from the UK.

It might be worth mentioning it is free to receive text, but to text the Republic of Ireland will cost 24p per texts and you will need additional credit on top of any bundle.  If you do not have additional credit, your texts messages will bounce. If you are going to be calling and texting to Eire on a regular basis, Vodafone International could work for you, as far is known still free to opt in for PAYG customers.   

Please see the link below.

Calling and texting abroad from the UK

It is set up correctly with the +353. I cannot see where International Calling Restrictions might apply on my account.  It has always been like this.  There is plenty of credit to cover these texts.

AnnS

Hi @JaneReed

This is going to need account access to find the reason for the problems and the team will pick the thread up as soon as possible. 

If you need a quicker answer, Customer Services will be able to check your account. 

ToniCa
13: Advanced Member

Vodafone International is still free for PAYG - well worth having for international calls, but it makes no difference to the cost of texts.

Have you tried using the conventional UK exit code of 00 in place of the plus sign? Unlikely to solve it, but worth a try!

Are you able to make calls to Eire? Or does the problem just affect texts? I've had a look at the possible bars on my account - there's a bewildering number of them, but I'd expect that calls rather than texts would be affected by any bar. If you have got a bar in place on international calling, it might be worth turning that off to see what happens. 

Final thought - where in the UK are you? Odd things can happen if you're in N Ireland but near to the Irish border.

Yes, I've tried using 00 - and that doesn't work.  I live in Cornwall.  My friend says that she has a number of UK friends who can receive her texts - but can't send texts to her. Not tried calling her. I don't know where to find the "bars" on my account.

AnnS

Hi @JaneReed

If your friend can't receive texts from other UK friends, it sounds like an error at the receiving end. It would definitely be worth your friend contacting her network and asking them to investigate at account level.

You don't mention the network she using, but it may be something simple for her provider to sort out and make sure incoming texts at hitting the message centre for forwarding onto her number.

Depending on the Irish network she is using, she also needs the correct message centre number on her phone. The link below, although for Vodafone UK, may help your friend for when she contacts her network.

I can't send and receive text messages

BandOfBrothers

Has this always been the case or has it just started @JaneReed

Is it possible you've added her number to your text blocking feature in the phone. 

Perhaps try inserting the SIM card in another phone as a process of elimination. 

Perhaps give Customer services on 191 a call or Live Chat can access your account and help you further with this situation by checking your account. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I have a Vodafone Smart Prime 7 phone (Pay-as-youGo - with Credit !) and cannot send texts to my friend in Eire.  Also, I cannot reply to her texts although I receive her texts OK.  Why?????

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Have you checked your My Vodafone online @JaneReed? You'll be able to ensure that all your settings are set up to text to Eire.
If you're still having trouble, we'll be more than happy to look into your account 
Please check your private message inbox for details on how to get in touch.