Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cannot make calls or send texts on PAYG new sim

johnpsota
1: Seeker

I have a new, but used iPhone 7. I have put a Vodafone PAYG sim inside and activated it. I have topped up now twice; have £39 on it, but Vodafone says I have zero mins, texts and data allowance.

Can receive calls, text and use the internet when on WiFi, but if I call the phone says ‘number invalid’. 

Can someone help as have done everything I can think of

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @johnpsota

In regards to data usage the used iPhone may need setting up by the process detailed in > How-do-I-set-up-my-phone-for-internet-access-and-picture-messaging-MMS.

A person can manually input the Vodafone Apn’s ensuring to take note of the specific Payg parts. The Apn’s can be found > Here.

Can you check in your myvodafone as to which tariff your on and what allowances that tariff gives. 

As a process of elimination can you please try your sim card in another phone and another SIM card in your phone to see if it’s the phone or SIM card at issue. 

Customer servive or Live Chat can check your account. 

An Apple Stores Genius Bar can check out the iPhone. 

In regards to making calls etc make sure the number hasn’t been added to any blocking feature unless this is happening with all outgoing calls to all numbers and is it happening everywhere ie Not a mast issue. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@johnpsota

Unless you have bought a Big Value Bundle or similar, then you will indeed have allowances of zero, but will be paying for minutes, texts, and also any mobile data, on a strictly pay as you go basis. So the credit line, 2345. will recite zero allowances and your credit balance.

Was the previous use of your phone in the UK, do you know? I'm just wondering if it doesn't "know" that it's here! Setting it up, as described by @BandOfBrothers, should sort that out. But you might have more luck with outbound calls if you dial the number as +44 77xx xxxxxx, rather than 077xx xxxxxx.