cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Carrier charges to purchase on Google play store assistance please - possible fraudulent transaction

ReedPR
8: Helper
8: Helper

Hi there,

I noticed on my available credit that it went down by £2.00 and seen as I have a big value bundle, unlimited texts and 1000 minutes, I struggled to work this out so went on Live Chat. 

A delightful lady called Sheeba was most helpful with me and looked at my records and apparently I have purchased (and I'm quoting from Sheeba), - 'Google Pro'.

Not recognizing this app or having any knowledge of Google having a pro version of their app, never mind offering it for £2.00, I disputed this with Sheeba. She confirmed that it has gone from play store and I have been authorised to use carrier charges. Completely confused at this point, I scoured Google Pay and my account history and there is no information anywhere I have purchased a Google app pro or not on said date. In fact last time I bought anything was with my bank debit card authorised to use by my bank on Google pay and this was many weeks prior.

Of course I contacted Google and disputed this transaction and said very clearly I didn't believe Google had any apps worthy of being pro and they cannot help me any further as there is nothing showing on my Google account to confirm anything and of course I have no transaction i/d as I had no email from Google to confirm purchase for an app that clearly doesn't exist.

Which brings me nicely on what am I supposed to do now? Sheeba, bless her was very helpful but she can only go on what she sees which to be frank was as much as this 'Google Pro' apps existence. I have email transcript of entire conversation with Sheeba which I'm still confused as to whether it is Vodafone's idea of an April Fools Joke or not which I do not mind sharing here if allowed?

Someone please tell me I have just dreamt all this and the nightmare will end soon, I will get this mythical Pro version of Google sent soon or even better, I get my £2.00 back!

15 REPLIES 15

I think I was right the first one - this must be an April Fools Joke on Vodafone's part.

Quick summary -

1)  £2.00 charge made for a purchase I never made on 30th March

2) First live agent says I bought Google Pro from Google Play making me spend 2 days searching for an app that didn't exist and disputing it with Google Pay.

3) Google Pay tell me to get correlation id for this transaction which I pass on request to second live agent who informs me that it was for a charge made on 28th March and gives me the wrong id as Google pay says it is not correlation id.

4) I request again with a third live agent for this is. This is only a small part of transcript of conversation because if I repeated in full it would literally blow your mind -

'Rahul : You subscribed for Google GetProv on Thu Mar 28 2019 18:04:04

Phil : I was told this but I believe it is a fraudelent charge not authorised by me so I dispute it. I went to Google to ask them what it was and who has charged me and they cannot help me any further without the correlation id for this fraudulent charge. Help me.

Rahul : I can assure you that £2.00 deduction is not for the Google GetProv on Thu Mar 28 2019 18:04:04

Rahul : You subscribed to free Google Pay service.

Rahul : £2.00 deduction was on 30/03/2019 which is not related to Google Pay service.

Phil : So what is the charge for? I am completely confused. I was told by Vishal that it takes two days for credit to leave account and now I'm being this is not the source of the £2.00 charge. What is going on?

Rahul : I can refund for £2.00 for you. the details are not showing for which service it deducted £2.00.

Rahul : It deducted your £2.00 on 30/03/2019 and the details are now showing for which service it deducted. 

The details of subscription showing on our system is for free Google service. This charge is not related to it.

Rahul : not showing

Phil : £2.00 I do not care about. I just want to know why I was charged and by whom. As I did not have credit on 28th March when this fraudulent charge was requested it would only come out my account when I topped up'

Well done Vodafone, your April Fools Joke was epic! 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I'm really sorry for the experience that you've had @ReedPR.

I can see we've replied to your email to us earlier today - if you do have any further queries, please reply back to our email and we can assist further.

@Natasha

I am grateful for your reply. I have received an email today from Raymond but that was with regards to the network glitch/vulnerability thread I created here and not in response to this.

As I say it is not the matter of £2.00 I am concerned about but the matter of being charged for a service I neither requested or want and I do have concerns that you have no records yourself to even confirm what this service is.

I have premium bars set up on my phone now but I am seeking clarification that this will not happen again to either myself or any of your other customers. Just having credit taken from you with no text confirmation and the fact your company does not even know why you took it concerns me greatly. 

Please get in touch with your social media team to email me about this so we can discuss this further in-depth.

Regards,

Phil

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I can understand your concerns @ReedPR, both Natasha, myself and all the other Community moderators are part of the Social Media team here at Vodafone and would be happy to discuss your fears over these charges. Please reply to the email sent by Raymond and we'll investigate these for you. 

@Mark

I had an email response from John who was extremely helpful and explained exactly what happened and I have accepted the help offered. Basically it was a system glitch which charged me £2.00 because I had unused reward points! John put the £2.00 back on so an end to this saga. These things happen occasionally so no hard feelings from me.

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks so much for the update @ReedPR, it's great to hear that John got everything resolved for you ðŸ˜Š If you need any help in future, please don't hesitate to get back in touch here on the Community Forum.