Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Dongles

GazGibbo
1: Seeker

Good day all,

I'm currently working in Egypt and I have purchaced a PAYG dongle here in egypt.  

I work all over the world and I'm wondering if this dongle is good to use worldwide.  Can I just put another Vodafone sim from that country in and I'm good to go, or is the dongle locked to a countries specific vodafone?

No speculation please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hello @GazGibbo

Welcome to the Community.

Vodafone Egypt is a separate company to Vodafone UK.

The dongle will be locked to Vodafone Egypt and will need to be unlocked by Vodafone Egypt before it can be used with an alternative SIM.  The dongle will also have all the Vodafone Egypt settings.

There would be no problem using the dongle when you are roaming but this would be subject to Vodafone Egypt roaming charges.  If you check the Vodafone Egypt roaming pages, you will be able to find the charges for using the dongle overseas.

View solution in original position

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers

Hi

Devices bought from Vodafone Uk be locked out so it'll only accept a Uk Vodafone SIM card. 

To use it abroad you'll probably need to lift the account abroad bars through Myvodafone and check where you are Vodafone has a roaming partner. 

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/costs/travelling-abroad/

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hello @GazGibbo

Welcome to the Community.

Vodafone Egypt is a separate company to Vodafone UK.

The dongle will be locked to Vodafone Egypt and will need to be unlocked by Vodafone Egypt before it can be used with an alternative SIM.  The dongle will also have all the Vodafone Egypt settings.

There would be no problem using the dongle when you are roaming but this would be subject to Vodafone Egypt roaming charges.  If you check the Vodafone Egypt roaming pages, you will be able to find the charges for using the dongle overseas.

Cheers Anns

I assumed as much.  When I finish my work in egypt I may as well sell it on and get a local dongle where ever I am next.  Shame vodafone is setup such a way.  They could corner a market for us travellers.  But I suppose they're more than happy at getting the roaming money.  

Thanks again