Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Emergency Calls Only

bolo
12: Established

Just bought another vf Smart Ultra 6  and have 2 questions:

1.  I got a payg sim with the phone but how do I set it up to make calls and avoid the title of this thread message, and;

2.  Where do I find the facility to alter data roaming setting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Retired-LouiseE
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hello @bolo

The information provided by other members of the forum is spot on. 

However, please be aware changes made to the SIM / account should be fairly instant however they can sometimes take up to 24 hours. 

Please be patient and reboot the device. 

If you are no further forward after 24 hours you can re-speak to Live Chat for an update or head into a Vodafone store.

Louise

View solution in original position

63 REPLIES 63

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @bolo

You can activate the Payg sim and choose your first bundle. 

Call 17298 to activate your Payg SIM card and to buy your first big bundle

Or use Live Chat. 

Set up Myvodafone for your Payg account and you can access data roaming there or again use live chat and they can lift this for you. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @bolo

You can find the data roaming setting on the phone, from more, mobile networks, data roaming.

There is further information from the Ultra 6 manual on the link below.

Ultra 6 Manual

The SIM should already be activated and all that should be necessary is to top up and make a chargeable connection.

Please see the link below for further information.

Getting Started with PAYG

Data roaming will be barred by default and this can be enabled through your online account or by contacting Vodafone.

If you are intending to use the phone with your pay monthly SIM, you will need to change the data settings from prepaid to contract.

bolo

Thanks guys but vf chat have just informed me that the sim is inactive due to lack of use and are sending a replacement with 200 mins added!

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome. 

Glad Live Chat could help. 

SIM cards have actual expiry dates if not activated by a certain date and Payg SIM cards de activate if their is no activity such as calls made but not to 191 , texts sent, data used or too ups made. 

The number is then quarantined , lost to the original owner and recycled at a later date. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Been 'chatting' to vf again and was advised to switch phone off for 15-20 mins and then replace sim and boot. And when I asked what would happen if nothing happened, he replied:

"No need to worry, surely it'll be working then".

I can't wait

bolo

Sim removal and reinsertion didn't work!

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)
I'm getting confused about the sequence of events! At lunchtime someone from Live Chat determined that the SIM had expired for some reason, and arranged to send you a replacement SIM with 200 minutes? Even if they were mistaken, arranging to send out a replacement would almost certainly deactivate the original SIM, so I'm not sure what the later Live Chat agent was trying to do - activate the original SIM or the replacement?

If a replacement is on its way, I think you'll need to wait for it to arrive, otherwise there's a danger of a series of replacements, each deactivating the previous one. You could start over with a brand new SIM, but that would mean that you wouldn't get the benefit of the £10 top up which I assume you bought with the phone and SIM.

bolo

Yes Annie, my fault entirely! I should have been patient and waited for the replacement sim. In reality, I got really annoyed and contacted chat again to ask if I could move provider. Agent said yes at first but changed his mind  later after convincing me that the removal and replacement of the sim would sort out the problem. When it didn't I got on to chat again and told them so. 

After 55 minutes the agent said that the sales people would phone me so in reply I provided my landline number. He then asked if my new mobile was not working????

Retired-LouiseE
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hello @bolo

The information provided by other members of the forum is spot on. 

However, please be aware changes made to the SIM / account should be fairly instant however they can sometimes take up to 24 hours. 

Please be patient and reboot the device. 

If you are no further forward after 24 hours you can re-speak to Live Chat for an update or head into a Vodafone store.

Louise