Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Emergency Calls Only

bolo
12: Established

Just bought another vf Smart Ultra 6  and have 2 questions:

1.  I got a payg sim with the phone but how do I set it up to make calls and avoid the title of this thread message, and;

2.  Where do I find the facility to alter data roaming setting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Retired-LouiseE
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hello @bolo

The information provided by other members of the forum is spot on. 

However, please be aware changes made to the SIM / account should be fairly instant however they can sometimes take up to 24 hours. 

Please be patient and reboot the device. 

If you are no further forward after 24 hours you can re-speak to Live Chat for an update or head into a Vodafone store.

Louise

View solution in original position

63 REPLIES 63

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

Oh dear, you are having some problems with your new number!

How long since you activated your SIM? It could be that it takes a little while for a number to register in the system, and be recognised by the payments computers, but I'd have thought/hoped it would be through by now.

Mobile numbers get ported around from one network to another, and then get recycled when the original customer stops using them. I have to confess that I've no idea whether numbers revert to the original network under such circumstances, or whether they stay with the the network that they're on when the music stops - perhaps other Forum members might know? The thought I'm aiming for in this ramble is that there must be scope for confusion under such circumstances!

If you enter your number here, does Vodafone come up as the answer??

kids

@Annie_N. That's a handy checker.

I find that my number is coming up to its 19th birthday soon so time to order a cake :smileyvery-happy:

bolo

Hi Annie and thanks for the rapid reply. Inserted sim on Wednesday at around 10am. Checked the number via your link and it was registered to Vodafone back in 2007.

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @bolo

You need to enter *#1345# to get your balance, not #1345#.  The MMI code is the code we use containing *# codes, if you are using #1345# without the initial star, you will get the message invalid MMI code or connection problem.

Try again using *#1345#.  

There is further information on how to check your balance on the link below.

Support : How can I check my balance? and ways to top up.

Try topping up the number, and try choosing your bundle, it may work and you will be able to use your new phone.

I always think topping up at an ATM works well.

All info on the support link above.

If there are still issues, please come back to the forum. 

edit. just read your post above.  From what you have written, it sounds like the SIM has expired and you will need a new SIM, available online or through a store.

bolo

Silly me! Anyway Anne, dialled *#1345# and got "PAYT is not available". I will try your link later but in the meantime I should have said that I can now make calls, send texts but if I don't use my wifi, I cannot access the Internet.

bolo

Sorry! Ann not Anne!

AnnS

Hi @bolo

The first thing to check are the settings but as you are using a Vodafone branded phone, there shouldn't be any problem setting wise.

The first thing to check is the phone is set to PAYG and not contract.  You can check this by going into your settings, networks, more, mobile networks, access point names, and choosing PAYG.

If these problems persist, it won't do any harm popping into a store and asking them for a new SIM for the phone.

bolo

Thanks Ann, phone wasn't set on either. Have now chosen PAYG and we will see what happens.

bolo

PAYT service is still not available.

bolo

Visiting the store can be very expensive because it's 50 miles away!