main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Pay as you go

Europe sim card

andrewkennedy
4: Newbie

Can I purchase one pay-as-you-go sim card that will cover all Europe? And top up online with a UK Credit card

View more options
10 REPLIES 10
SimonWilding
16: Advanced member

Andrew, 

as long as you are in VF's Europe Zone (which covers 50 countries) you can use your PAYG phone for the same as it would cost you back in the UK.

Full details are here:

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/costs/travelling-abroad/

as for topping up the same page says

"You can register your credit or debit card details with us to make it easier to top up while you’re abroad. Here's how:

• Top up with your credit or debit card, then choose the option to save the card so you can use it next time
  • Dial 191 for Vodafone customer services
  • You can also register your payment details in My Vodafone"

Huawei P30 ELE-L09,

Android Version - 10 EMUI Version 11.0.0 (Custom Version VDF.GB 10.0.0.8)

Last Update 3.3.2021

Build- 11.0.0.138(C431E8R3P3)

Baseband- 21C20B385S000C000
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

View more options
andrewkennedy

Thanks for coming back so quickly!!!!!    I have just purchased a new Android Smart Phone.     I live in France.    I am on holiday at the moment in sunny Spain........If I purchase a Pay-as-you-go SIM card from a local Spannish shop that card will be all I need to do?!?  Or as my home is in France should I buy a FRENCH SIM when I get back - I am hoping you are going to so .....it make no odds where I buy the card from?!?  Andrew

View more options
SimonWilding

Ah I assumed you lived in the UK.

Under EU rules which scrapped roaming charges, it shoudl cost the same to use your phone, which you purchased in an EU country, in any other EU Country for the same cost as using it at home. 

I would imagine it would be better for you to buy a phone in your home country as this will avoid any issues with using your Credit Card to top up.

Huawei P30 ELE-L09,

Last Update 3.3.2021

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

View more options
ToniCa
13: Advanced Member

There is a significant restriction on using your phone while roaming - Vodafone UK's rules say that "Use of your inclusive allowance when roaming in our Europe Zone is intended for periodic travel. It isn’t meant for users roaming on a semi-permanent or permanent basis." See http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cs/groups/public/documents/contentdocuments/pay-as-you-go-terms-and-charge...

I believe that Vodafone UK regards 2 months as the limit beyond which they would restrict usage - but I can't find the reference, so others may be able to correct me. I would imagine that other Vodafone companies within Europe, and also other networks, will have similar restrictions, as the EU regulation means that the networks are having to subsidise roaming. 

In essence, you will probably do best to purchase your SIM card from a network in the country in which you spend the bulk of your time. WRT topping up, Vodafone UK requires a UK credit card with a UK registered address. I've seen reference to using PayPal as a way of getting around the latter problem, but I haven't any experience of doing so.

View more options
donnyguy

If you live in France then ultimately you'd be better off purchasing a French sim card for your handset. This is because you will spend most of your time in France and it'd be better to have a French number for incoming calls so friends and family can call you without having to make an international call to another country. 

View more options
andrewkennedy

Again, many thanks for the info!!  I will purchase a pay-as-you-go SIM Card here in Spain just to get me going.  Now then, another question - I have purchased a new android phone which I have booted up, and thats all at this stage, and it is important I transfer my old phone number to my new phone? Can you tell me how I go about that please?!?

View more options
ToniCa

Can you not just use your old SIM in your new phone?

Otherwise, you can't move your number across borders, so you will need to buy your new SIM from a network within the same country as your old number. IF it's the same throughout Europe (and I'd imagine that there could be variations from one country to another), you would then need to get a PAC (or equivalent) from your old network, and port your number to the new network. The Vodafone UK method is described on https://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/benefits/keep-my-number/index.htm

Phones are rather more subject to national (and network) boundaries than people are! You may have bought your new phone "SIM-free". Otherwise, a phone sold by Vodafone ES will probably be locked to that network, and would have to be network-unlocked by them before you could use it with another network's SIM. Vodafone UK's method can be found on https://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/network/unlocking-your-phone/index.htm

View more options
andrewkennedy

Of cause, I can simple take my old SIM out of my old phone and use it in my new phone........I am right in thinking the phone number comes  with the SIM Card?????.  78 still learning.

View more options
SimonWilding

Yes the phone number is attached to the SIM and not the phone. You just need to make sure that the new phone isn't locked to a particular network, otherwise you will need to get it unlocked.

Huawei P30 ELE-L09,

Last Update 3.3.2021

View more options
ToniCa

Depending on how old your old phone is, and the requirements of the new phone, it's possible that the old SIM card will be too big for the new phone :Sad_face: 

While it's possible to get the old card cut down, this isn't advisable. I'm assuming, from the fact that you've posted on this forum, that your original SIM was issued by Vodafone UK - if so, when you're next in the UK, any Vodafone store would be able to transfer your number to a modern 3-in-1 SIM, where you can pop out one of the smaller sizes from the standard size SIM.

View more options