main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Pay as you go

Free PAYG SIM Working Without Credit

tharrison4815
3: Seeker

I ordered a free pay as you go SIM to see how good the signal is as I'm going to be getting a new contract soon and in thinking of going with Vodafone. 

I haven't bought any credit and I didn't enter any payment details in when ordering but after putting the new SIM in I've noticed the data is somehow working and I'm able to browse the internet and use apps when my Wi-Fi is disabled .

I'm just concerned that I'm going to end up being sent a bill or something. Can anyone explain what's going on? 

View more options
4 REPLIES 4
BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

As its a Payg type account there can be no billing created by Vodafone @tharrison4815 so dont worry. 

There is the auto top up option but as you say the Network has no details on you. 

Its possible you are on wifi somehow or there was an amount of credit / usage allowances on the sim card. 

To check your sim cards / Payg info then perhaps either download the myvodafone app or use....

To see your balance on screen, call *#1345# free from your Vodafone Pay as you go mobile.

To see your remaining allowance, call 2345 free from your Vodafone Pay as you go mobile.

Current Phone >

Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Previous Phone >

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G - SM9860.

View more options
ToniCa
13: Advanced Member

I'd be inclined to suspect some sort of error in the despatch office! Apart from the free PAYG1 SIM with no credit, there are options for PAYG1 with 3 different levels of credit and Big Value Bundles with 4 different values of bundle - with a total of 8 options, it would be amazing if a mistake never occurred.

As well as using mobile data, are you able to make chargeable calls or send texts?

I'd suggest installing the My Vodafone app, probably over wifi. As you seem to have mobile data working, the system will then be able to "find" your account, which requires mobile data, and you'll be able to see your balance and/or allowances. Or calling 2345, which produces a recital of allowances, followed by your balance. As @BandOfBrothers says, there is no mechanism for charging retrospectively. A remote possibility is that you have somehow been signed up to a Data Extra, which would automatically renew at the end of 30 days if you had an adequate balance, unless you opted out in the meantime - so it would be worth knowing what was going on!

View more options
AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @tharrison4815

When you order a free PAYG SIM from the Vodafone website, you need to dial 17298 prior to use to activate the SIM. Try dialling 2345 from the phone, as well as confirming you are on PAYG, this will give the tariff you are on.  You would have also need to set up an online account when submitting your order, try logging into the account.

When you first download the My Vodafone Application, this needs to be done over a mobile data connection, this is needed to find your details and associate the application to the SIM.  However, there is no charge for accessing the Application over mobile data from the phone.

View more options
ToniCa
13: Advanced Member

You have to give a name and address when ordering a free SIM, but you don't set up an actual account, or establish a password or log-on route.

For actually downloading the app, better to do that over wifi, to avoid risk of exhausting your mobile data allowance. It's only when you set it up the first time that you need to switch to mobile data, to associate the SIM and the app, but until I added a credit card via the app I've never noticed any awareness within the app of my personal details. The app worked fine with a spare SIM I bought for cash in a supermarket, and which I've never made any effort to register.

Vodafone doesn't meter the data you use to access the app, but the phone may take advantage of the connection to update other apps. Even though all apps on my phone are set to update over wifi only, that doesn't seem to suppress it entirely. 

View more options