Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How can I setup a call divert on PAYG

newcustomer2016
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello,

I bought a Vodafone PAYG SIM yesterday as I wanted the ability to divert an additional number (for work) to my personal mobile. I explained this to the staff in Oxford Street yesterday and they happily sold me a PAYG sim (£10). 

I put the SIM into my unlocked Samsung S5 and tried setting up a call divert to my personal mobile, but this failed - I'm getting various "invalid" errors.

After a bit of research I saw this link https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Calls-texts-and-voicemail/Call-diverts/38912104/How-do-I-manage-my-ca...

Which says that PAYG can only be diverted to voicemail. I spoke to a Vodafone employee this morning via online chat, who told me that the statement "If you're on Pay as you go, you can divert incoming calls only to voicemail." is incorrect and that the divert does work, but my divert doesn't work due to my phone being incompatible.

I don't believe the Vodafone employee I chatted with today as he didn't seem on the ball. I would like to know:

1. If I can divert a PAYG SIM to another phone?
2. If not, can I get a refund (bear in mind I explained why I wanted a SIM before purchase, so if the answer to 1 is no, then the Oxford street store staff should have pointed this out?)

3. Is it possible for Vodafone to setup a call divert for my PAYG (the support representative I chatted with online said Vodafone can't do this - that's disappointing as T-mobile could that 5 years ago!)

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @newcustomer2016

If you are on PAYG, the only number you will be able to divert to will be voicemail. You need to be on a pay monthly contract to divert to any other alternative UK number.

If you would like the option of diverting to an alternative number, a SIM only contract would solve the problem.

@newcustomer2016

Where a refund is concerned, you would need to go back to the point of sale but if the credit is on the SIM and with PAYG credit being non refundable, they would be under no obligation to make a refund.

Thanks for confirming Ann

Do you work for Vodafone? I'm wondering if I can get a refund for the PAYG sim as it's clearly not fit for my purposes

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@newcustomer2016 As @AnnS has said you will have to go back to the store you bought it at and argue the point of whether you made it clear you wanted to be able to divert calls to other than voicemail when you bought the sim.

That may be difficult as the PAYG sim does have restrictions as you found out from the link that you posted but it is fit for it's intended purpose as per the conditions.