Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

I really need to get an old number back

mjf7777
2: Seeker

Vodafone cut me off in 2017 when I was abroad, when I came back, they gave a new number

I really need to get the old number back; I am happy to take an additional line 

I have checked the old number is not currently in use

can anyone help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @mjf7777 

If it's been that long and the number was disconnected from the network 2017 it's unlikely Vodafone would be able to locate the number.  Vodafone do make it clear that a chargeable activity or top up has to be made during a 180 day period, after which time the number will be disconnected from the network and impossible to retrieve.  The number could be anywhere in the system and could well have been reissued to another customer and ported out.

There are not an infinity number of mobile telephone numbers available and with it being an Ofcom ruling that all number has to be in use, the networks have no choice but to disconnect and recycle numbers.

If you had contacted Vodafone back in 2017 there might have been a chance, but not when it's been 4 years plus.

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

AnnS

Hi @mjf7777 

If it's been that long and the number was disconnected from the network 2017 it's unlikely Vodafone would be able to locate the number.  Vodafone do make it clear that a chargeable activity or top up has to be made during a 180 day period, after which time the number will be disconnected from the network and impossible to retrieve.  The number could be anywhere in the system and could well have been reissued to another customer and ported out.

There are not an infinity number of mobile telephone numbers available and with it being an Ofcom ruling that all number has to be in use, the networks have no choice but to disconnect and recycle numbers.

If you had contacted Vodafone back in 2017 there might have been a chance, but not when it's been 4 years plus.

Why can't they allocate the number to a new SIM as it is not in use

donnyguy
16: Advanced member

It's not going to hurt to call Vodafone and ask the question formerly as we're a peer-to-peer forum so only advise from our own experiences. 

I do understand the thought process behind 'well it's not in use so why can't they assign it to me?' but the reality is, it may have been already assigned elsewhere.

E.g. the PAYT sim cards you see in stores (supermarkets etc.) for Vodafone and all their MVNOs already have numbers assigned to them and will appear to be inactive / out of service until the sim is placed in a handset and activated. 

So even though the number appears to be not in use, it could just be that it's out there somewhere.

But like I say, call up and formerly ask. The worst they can do is confirm it's a no.

In theory, if the number is a Vodafone number, not been allocated elsewhere then in theory it could be picked up and assigned to your line or an additional sim. 

The complications come from the fact that the number may not be sat in this status. Even though it's not in use (so when you call it, it says out of service), it may already be assigned to another SIM card somewhere (e.g. look at all the PAYT sims that are out there, the numbers are assigned to them but until the first chargeable call is made, the number appears to be out of service).

It may have been assigned to an MVNO meaning it's not with Vodafone anymore and is awaiting connection on a different network. 

WelshPaul

@mjf7777 wrote:

Why can't they allocate the number to a new SIM as it is not in use

The number may not be in use right now but it may have been re-assigned to a brand new pay go SIM that is now sitting on a store shelf somewhere, or inside a sealed pay go phone that is also sitting on a store shelf somewhere.

If Vodafone were to pull the number and put it on a new SIM card and give it to you, some poor chap is going to buy that new SIM card or Pay Go phone in-store only to find it doesn't work when setting it up later that day.

ttrunk_20

Hello I really need my old number back as I need it for something 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @ttrunk_20, depending on how long the numbers been disconnected and the reason for this, we may not be able to get your number back for all the reasons listed in posts in this thread. If the number has only been disconnected very recently, pop us a message through our social channels and we'll see what our options are.

paul_44

If the number is recycled to another carrier O2/giffgaff/ee,, or even oveseas, has been put in a pack with a must be used by 2025 etc,

How do we find out who is the new owner? This is the question everyone wants to know. There must be record somewhee of who has been reassigned that number. So why is it such a secret?

Hi @paul_44  I'm afraid this information isn't something we're able to get hold of. Even if we could get this information and find out the carrier and owner, this wouldn't be shared due to GDPR laws.