Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

International Data

55makenna
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi!

I am from the U.S. I purchased an international pay-as-you-go SIM Card in Greece last fall, as I make several trips to Europe per year (mostly to the UK for work). I was initially a huge fan of the Vodafone pay-as-you-go services.

However, I have noticed that the data bundles I purchase have an international data limit (for use outside Greece) which are much smaller than the data stated on the bundle. This is not clearly stated anywhere, and it is difficult to see how much data remains. When I have previously contacted support, I have received mixed, unclear messages as well as information that blatantly was not correct. Due to misinformation from a representative, I ran out of data while visiting London late at night, while I was led to believe I had 5 GB available for use. The MyVodafone application on my phone was not working correctly and would not allow me to purchase new data - and as I did not have remaining data, I could not go to my web browser to visit the Vodafone website and purchase more. There were not many places offering free wi-fi nearby that were open, and I spent most of my only night in London searching for a place that offered free wi-fi so that I could determine how to get back to my hotel. As a young woman travelling alone using my phone as a main source of information on the city, having trusted Vodafone to enable me to navigate, this was a frightening experience.

I will be returning to the UK for work at the end of March. I would really like to continue to use Vodafone as my international SIM card because it is incredibly convenient and affordable, but after the previous scary incident, I want to ensure I completely understand how the data plans operate and have a way to track my international data useage. I am not sure if Vodafone Greece has different, particular data limitations when used outside of Greece, but can you please help me with the exact amounts of data that can be used internationally with the data bundles? Is it half of the data you purchase, a quarter, etc.?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

donnyguy
16: Advanced member

Hi 55makenna,

Welcome to the forum, as the previous poster said. This is a forum for Vodafone UK however as a long time user of Vodafone GR, I'm happy to share my thoughts on your post.

Firstly, there was a recent survey done in the European Union that showed Greece to be one of the most expensive places for mobile telephony whereas the UK is one of the cheapest.

So you've said you travel mainly to the UK so there doesn't seem to be any logic in you using Vodafone Greece's services (unless you specifically need a Greek +30 telephone number)

The downsides of Vodafone Greece are:

1. Your balance needs to be recharged every two months in order to keep your balance

2. Your incoming calls and texts will be barred after four months (so two months after your balance expires) meaning the service is of no use till you top up (the number itself will still be valid for 12 months before you lose the number)

3. Like you said, the data bundles (which are quite expensive when compared with prices in the UK) have fair usage policies when using abroad. Any of the GIGA-DAY, GIGA WEEK packages specifically offer X amount of use in Greece but specifcally say only Y amount for usage in the European Union. 

If you are applying the packages via the My Vodafone section of the vf.gr website or the app then if you click 'Μάθε περισσότερα' or 'Find out more' link (depending on the language you're using the service in) then it tells you exactly the terms of the offer. So it'll say you have XX GB for use in Greece, the fair use policy is YY GB in the EU and not valid outside the EU or with the example below, it says 2GB for 5 days. It's free. But I've highlighted the line that says the offer is not valid in the EU. 

VFgr.pngYou would be better advised to buy a Vodafone UK sim with a +44 number. You have longer validity and better data offers. Also, if you decide to go elsewhere in Europe, the full data package you apply can be used.

If I didn't need a Greek number, I'd have dumped Vodafone Greece long ago 🙂

View solution in original position

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

May i assume as you acquired the Vodafone Payg in Greece it's not a Vodafone UK variant.

The Vodafone Social Media Teams here can only access Vodafone UK accounts due to other countries using the Vodafone name but they are not linked. 

You would need to clarify with that countries customer service support teams. 

They'll have different terms and conditions and data allowances to the UK.

You could pick up a Vodafone UK Payg sim card when you arrive if your phone will accept it.

Roaming us meant for short term only. 

Vodafone UK pay-as-you-go-plans

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

donnyguy

Hi 55makenna,

Welcome to the forum, as the previous poster said. This is a forum for Vodafone UK however as a long time user of Vodafone GR, I'm happy to share my thoughts on your post.

Firstly, there was a recent survey done in the European Union that showed Greece to be one of the most expensive places for mobile telephony whereas the UK is one of the cheapest.

So you've said you travel mainly to the UK so there doesn't seem to be any logic in you using Vodafone Greece's services (unless you specifically need a Greek +30 telephone number)

The downsides of Vodafone Greece are:

1. Your balance needs to be recharged every two months in order to keep your balance

2. Your incoming calls and texts will be barred after four months (so two months after your balance expires) meaning the service is of no use till you top up (the number itself will still be valid for 12 months before you lose the number)

3. Like you said, the data bundles (which are quite expensive when compared with prices in the UK) have fair usage policies when using abroad. Any of the GIGA-DAY, GIGA WEEK packages specifically offer X amount of use in Greece but specifcally say only Y amount for usage in the European Union. 

If you are applying the packages via the My Vodafone section of the vf.gr website or the app then if you click 'Μάθε περισσότερα' or 'Find out more' link (depending on the language you're using the service in) then it tells you exactly the terms of the offer. So it'll say you have XX GB for use in Greece, the fair use policy is YY GB in the EU and not valid outside the EU or with the example below, it says 2GB for 5 days. It's free. But I've highlighted the line that says the offer is not valid in the EU. 

VFgr.pngYou would be better advised to buy a Vodafone UK sim with a +44 number. You have longer validity and better data offers. Also, if you decide to go elsewhere in Europe, the full data package you apply can be used.

If I didn't need a Greek number, I'd have dumped Vodafone Greece long ago 🙂