cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Is the £5 for 500mb data top-up on PAYG 4G or just 3G?

Kevin0805
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Any PAYG experts here?  Does anyone know if the £5 for 500mb data PAYG top-up is actually 4G data? Or just 3G?

Vodafone's website emphasises that for monthly auto-top-up bundles it's 4G, but seems silent on whether it's also 4G on PAYG? Which makes me thing it might just be 3G for PAYG (but they don't want to adversities that!).

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

I suspect the whole thing is more complicated with modern phones than with most of the other "commodities", as there is just so much variation in what people may require. Fuel consumption may be a bit variable, depending on size of house, how much of your power you use at night, and a few other factors, but there are only so many variables. With phone use, there is a quite staggering range, from a couple of calls a quarter, through to very heavy usage, but rarely equally across all three components.

And then of course there are questions of coverage - if you get a good signal from your present network in the places where you use your phone, then it may not make much sense to move to a different network which has less good signal in your area, just to save a small sum.

I'm not sure that the price comparison websites can hope to cover all bases accurately, though I'm sure they would argue that they have very sophisticated systems.

Thanks again, bandofbrothers1.  I guess I was just puzzled by the fact that Vodafone advertise heavily on their website that it's 4G for all their monthly contract plans, but for the PAYG top-up they simply refer to "500mb UK data" which just made me suspicious that maybe this PAYG top-up is somehow restricted to 3G.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@Kevin0805 wrote:

Thanks again, bandofbrothers1.  I guess I was just puzzled by the fact that Vodafone advertise heavily on their website that it's 4G for all their monthly contract plans, but for the PAYG top-up they simply refer to "500mb UK data" which just made me suspicious that maybe this PAYG top-up is somehow restricted to 3G.

Again you're very welcome.  

Hope I helped. 😎

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.