main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Pay as you go

Just switched to PAYG - how can I get to my voicemails?

4: Newbie

Hi,

I switched my long-standing Vodafone contract to PAYG last month as I have a business contract with Vodafone through my employer and no longer needed two phones.

As I'm in a period of transition where some people don't have my old number and also I didn't want to lose the number I have kept it live in an old phone.  However I don't have any credit on it and am currently travelling.

I understand I can't access the voicemail from another phone if I don't have a PIN set up (which I don't)

Is there any way I can set this up remotely?  I would prefer to dial in to hear the messages and I think one is important.

Alternatively, what is the lowest cost option for me to top up and listen to the voicemails?  I don't want to get into paying amounts per month for a phone I won't use so the absolute minimum to keep the number active and listen to the voicemails currently on the phone would be fine.  I can change my greeting to tell the caller my new number if required as well.

View more options
6 REPLIES 6
17: Community Champion

Hi @goldust

The PIN would have needed to be set up when you are in the UK, for all the security reasons this is not something that can be set up when you are outside of the UK roaming on an overseas network.

If you refer to the travelling abroad section of the website on  things to do before leaving the UK, this is mentioned here: Travelling Abroad

View more options

Thanks Ann.  I'm in the airport now and can do this but it won't let me as I don't have any credit on the phone.

I don't want to pay for minutes/data/texts I won't use so what is the lowest cost method of me doing this?

View more options

Hi @goldust

If you want to use voicemail and set up your PIN, you really don't have much choice, you can top up £5.00, I think. At least that would get your voicemail working.

Also with it being PAYG, the number needs to be kept active and that would do the trick.

View more options

Hi @goldust details here on the tarries,

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/pay-as-you-go-plans

The PAYG one is probably the one for you. 

View more options

Thank you.

Do you know how often I need to use the SIM to keep it active?

Does activity count as sending a text? (so I can just text my other phone once every month, 90 days, or whatever it is I need)

View more options
Administrator

@goldust The number would be disconnected if you do not use the service for 180 consecutive days i.e. you do not carry out any chargeable outbound activity such as making an outbound call (excluding calls to 191), sending an SMS, using data or topping up your account. 

This information can be found in our Ts&Cs if you did want to double check 🙂

View more options