Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Major security flaw in voicemail

ZIncy
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have discovered a major security problem with my voicemail.

I called 121 to listen to a new voicemail message. I entered my PIN incorrectly and got the message telling me this was the case, which is how it's supposed to work. So I hung up, and went to find my PIN, which I had written down.

When I called 121 again in order to enter the PIN correctly, voicemail simply took me straight to my messages, and did not ask for the PIN!

I must reitterate: I did not at any point enter the correct PIN, and yet I was able to listen to my messages

8 REPLIES 8

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

Are you normally asked for your PIN when you call 121?

I have my voicemail set to the lower level of security, so that I can call 121 from my own phone (when in the UK) without giving my PIN, but have to give both my number and the PIN if I call 07836 121121 from another device, or call 121 from abroad.

It might be wise to check which level of security you have set up - see https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Using-our-network/Voicemail/ particularly the section on setting up a security PIN - and change the level if you prefer, then re-check that things are behaving as they should. If you use the higher level of security, but weren't asked for your PIN, it's certainly rather worrying.

"Are you normally asked for your PIN when you call 121?"

Yes

Annie_N

Hmm, that doesn't sound good.

I'd suggest trying to reset your voicemail - start by dialling ##002# [SEND] into your phone. You should see an onscreen message stating that call forwarding has been switched off. Give it an hour or so, switch voicemail back on by dialling 1211, then check it out again.

If it's still playing up, I'd suggest using Live Chat via the link here, and asking them to sort out a voicemail reset or reactivation for you.

I've tried to replicate the problem but it seems to be working correctly now. My worry would be that if this isn't fixed it could become a known exploit for Vodafone voicemail.

Annie_N

@ZIncy

Yes, it is worrying, but I'd hope that it was a temporary glitch of some sort. From your description, it was something that would require someone else to get hold of your phone in order to listen to your messages, which at least is better than being able to access your messages from another device, but clearly, if you sometimes get confidential messages, you want them to stay that way.

Can you give an approximate time when this happened? Vodafone's Team read all the posts on the forum, so they should be able to check whether there was a known problem of any sort at that time. Otherwise, I'd expect that someone from the Team will be in touch on this thread, to check that all in is good order with your account.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@ZIncy Thanks for letting us know that all seems to be working fine with your voicemail settings.

If you'd like us to take a look into this further for you, please follow the details provided in the private message I've sent to you. 

Our team will then be in touch.

This has just happened again. I have a PIn to access my voicemail and I have just got straight through to my messages without having to enter the PIN...

Can someone please look at this flaw and fix it?

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@ZIncy Thanks for getting back to us on the thread.

As we'd need to access your account to take a closer look into your voicemail settings for you, please follow the steps in the private message I've sent to you. We'll then be in touch.