Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New PAYG sim not allowing texts to competition numbers

wysiwyg
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I recently bought a second hand phone on Ebay, locked to Vodaphone. Understanding I had to buy a FREE sim for £10 in order to unlock phone, I duly bought a PAYG bundle from the local store.

Stupidly, I didn't realise that Vodaphone don't have an ongoing credit policy unlike my other 3, Virgin and Orange sims which I want to use in this phone.

I feel cheated as this was NOT explained to me when I bought the sim.

As I do virtually all my coms at home via internet, I will not be using the minutes or data or texts included with the bundle. I wanted ongoing credit to use the phone as required, not as dictated by Vodaphone. Thinking I could use the included 'credit' on competition numbers I tried to send a text .. to find this was not included in the package. !!

Can anyone suggest how I can convert my bundle to credit or get the phone unlocked, because this sim and phone will be absolutely useless to me in future and there is NO WAY I will buy another topup from Vodaphone.

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

Vodafone have two options. 

The Big Value Bundle which has allowances that lasts 30 days and credit is taken to pay for these. They don't roll over. 

Freebies which again the allowances last 30 days and don't roll over but the difference is the credit isn't taken and can be used after the allowances are used up. 

More info in https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/pay-as-you-go-plans/

It maybe beneficial to check on your online myvodafone that no premium rate SMS bar is active which maybe stopping your texts. 

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly-products-services/Premium-rate-SMS-FAQ/m-p/2421982#M4422

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Sorry to add to meet the criteria to unlock via payg the sim needs to be used in the phone for a minimum of 30 days making calls , sending texts and using data. 

Current Phone  >

thanks for the update.. i had a chat with the help desk and they confirmed what i now know and what you say too.

This is NOT the way other providers like Virgin, 3 and Orange work on PAYG so I am very disappointed in Vodaphone and not a great first time intro to their network and customer service.

That they can actually say it is a FREE unlock and then make you use the network for 30 days at a cost to get the code is blatant misrepresentation.in my view. At least Virgin make it very clear there is a charge to unlock or I might just as well of gone down the high street and paid £15 to an unlocker..

They have my £10 and that's all they'll get.

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome.  :Smiling:

There used to be a £19.99 unlock fee on Payg so it has improved to now a free unlock. 

Apart from using the sim in the phone for 30 days which is to latch the phones imei to the account properly. 

I understand what your saying about using a Highstreet Store to unlock but this way can have its own ramifications such as the unlock not holding , or lost when factory reset or even that the phone no longer works properly on the original network. 

Current Phone  >

There was a great celebration last summer that all networks must abandon their unlock charges.. this is not what the industry wanted and so have, as always, found loopholes to avoid the regulation. Now PAYG is the exception.

Out of principle I will never use Vodaphone again whereas I was quite happy to topup as required over the years as with other networks, so they have my £10 but have lost many times that in longterm revenue.

Hopefully as others realise that the '3' network sell all their phones unlocked and only charge a maximum 3p per unit on PAYG as against 30p on Vodaphone, plus allow credit to continue month on month, then eventually they will switch networks too. I encourage everyone to do so.

Amen.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@wysiwyg

The situation re charging or other criteria for unlocking PAYG is entirely transparent, both on the Vodafone site and on this summary. Also, you seem to have chosen the wrong PAYG option within Vodafone if you want any remaining credit to roll over, as explained by BandOfBrothers.

However, having bought the bundle you have bought, if you use it until it expires at the end of 30 days, and if necessary continue using some of the unmetered websites such as this Forum, for a few days after that, you will at least be able to get your phone unlocked, and then you will be in a position to put another network's SIM into it, and get the bargains that they offer if they will suit your usage better. (I find the 1-2-3 deal much too expensive in the longrun.)

Thank you .. BUT, the very bullish store assisitant gave me the sim card without any further expnation other than I needed to run the sim before I could get it unlocked. How many options do you need ??

As to 3 .. if you find their 321 PAYG option with international calling at same price of 3p per minute too expensive then I wonder which package you found. !!

I've wasted far too much time and effort on this fiasco .. i wish I'd gone down the high street and paid £15 to unlock and never ever heard of Vodaphone. Moral is.. never ever buy a locked phone.

PS ..and if Vodaphone support ever read this,.. you ain't heard the last of this.