main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Pay as you go

Order blocked by Vodafone

Highlighted
2: Seeker

Hi everyone,

I recently finished a Pay Monthly contract, moved onto Pay as you Go, and was now hoping to move to a new, Sim Only, Pay Monthly contract. I tried to order this today through Mobilesphonedirect.co.uk, who I've used before, but they informed me that Vodafone had blocked the order, No reason had been given though they suggested it could be to do with a credit check (my credit is fine). Does anyone have any idea why Vodafone might have done so? This didn 't happen the last time I used the same website. 

View more options
8 REPLIES 8
17: Community Champion

Hi @ryan1992reading 

No sure of the reason for you failing the credit check when you have already been a Vodafone customer.

The best thing to do here is to contact Vodafone, they will be able to transfer your PAYG number to a 12 month SIM only. 

There are some good deals to be had direct with Vodafone, they should at least be able to match the third party price.  Also a lot easier than taking a contract with a new number and transferring your PAYG number to the contract.

View more options

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately in the past they didn't match the third party price - nonetheless, as you suggest, I will certainly get in touch with them! Thanks

View more options

@ryan1992reading 

Unfortunately Vodafone UK are unable to provide a reason as to why a Credit Check has not been successful as their systems only show an acceptance or declined status. 

They advise to contact one or more of the Credit Houses, Experian being one, in order to check that nothing wrong has been recorded there. 

It doesn't always come down to a credit score problem, or a certain time at the address. As a quick example, it can be due to the amount of incoming to outgoing payments. If a customer has a mortgage and a car and something else on finance, then something else for the kids which is paid monthly, the credit check is ran to see if the customer can pay the finance (monthly cost) based on other payments per month. 

To add even a clear Credit File with good Credit Score does not guarantee acceptance. It's also good practice to let 90 days elapse before making another application in order to let the Credit Score recover.

Vodafone's help page is https://www.vodafone.co.uk/privacy/credit-checks

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

I find it exceptional that they were happy, a fortnight ago, for me to pay a £34 a month contract but now think I have failed a credit check for a £13 a month contract. Thanks for your help - I will do as suggested. I can't wait 90 days for a new contract so will just have to move networks if that is the case.

Thanks!

View more options

Hi @ryan1992reading 

If you were already a Vodafone customer there would have been no need for a further credit check, you would have already been credit checked.

However, if you took out a contract only 2 weeks ago, this may well be the reason for the order being blocked.  Vodafone have a 3 month clear payment rule for new contracts by which time they will have an indication as to how you manage the account payments.  If you wait for the 3 month period to pass, there shouldn't be any problems getting a second line on the account.

It would also be worth you asking Vodafone your credit limit, sometimes it is set far too low.

View more options

Sorry I wasn't clear - as in I finished my last contract with them 2 weeks ago, moved to Pay as You Go, and am now seeking a new contract (so just the one active in total). And as before, it won't be possible for me to wait 3 months simply to remain a Vodafone customer (though, of course, if the problem repeats with other providers I may not have a choice). 

View more options

Hi @ryan1992reading 

As the credit check was done by the third party, it won't do any harm asking mobiles.co.uk the reason for the rejection and ask them to do a manual credit check and not a computerised check.  Mobiles.co.uk is now part of AO.com, they were previously part of Carphone Warehouse.

As you were previously a good customer there should be no reason for Vodafone to reject you on the basis of a credit check.

You may well have better luck taking a contract out direct with the network.

View more options

Interesting - thanks very much for your help! 

View more options