Ask

Solution

PAYG phone as a spare phone

DAS1233
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi

I'm looking for a little advice as i cant find the information on the site

I want a phone that will serve as a standby/emergency phone. So I dont need data and minutes renewed each month, as it will sit in a drawer until needed.

However, I would like it to be active all the time and able to receive texts and calls.

Would the vodafone PAYG sim be suitable? or would this require me to buy a new £10 bundle each month?

thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @DAS1233! You can take out a Pay As You Go SIM here. You'll see the option to Choose a free SIM under "Choose a bundle later". Just to advise, if your SIM isn't used for six months straight, the number will be recycled. You'll receive a text after 90 days of zero usage and then a further one at six months to advise of disconnection so I'd make sure to avoid this by sending a text or making a call on the SIM/phone at some point each 90 days if you're planning to predominantly keep this in a drawer.

Thank you for your reply, 

That's great news, I just didn't want to spend £120 a year on an emergency phone :Smiling: 

So as long as I use it once every six months it will stay active. 

Brilliant!

thanks

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @DAS1233 

To add to the reply from @Beth .

Before you top up you will need to opt out of a bundle by following this link: Opt out of Big Value Bundle .  If you select the choose a bundle later option if you don't opt out before topping up Vodafone will immediately convert your £10.00 top up into a Big Value Bundle but as a new customer you wouldn't be aware of this and Vodafone don't make it too obvious.

You will be charged when there is some outgoing activity in the way of calls, texts or using data.  Make sure you have turned off your mobile data or this will be classed as outgoing and Vodafone will take £1.00 from your credit.

As you are a new customer see here: Welcome to Vodafone 

Hi Anns 

thanks for the tips and link. Thats very helpful

I'll make sure I opt out of the big value bundle!