Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pay as you go Sim activation in Eu

Rain
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I've bought a sim sim for a family member in Germany. The sim is not activated yet.

Is it possible to activate the SIM in Germany and if yes which network should we select?

Thanks a lot

3 REPLIES 3

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Rain 

The problem your family member is going to have is PAYG SIM cards need to connect to the local network in the UK to activate correctly. Your family member would also need a UK debit or credit card registered to a UK address and account to be able to add credit to use the service.

If you are going to be sending  a UK SIM abroad it would be a good idea to top up and make sure the SIM is activated before sending.

It would also be worth mentioning that where roaming is concerned it is only intended for short periodic travel such as holiday use and not for long term.

Please see here for further infomation:  Getting Started

@AnnS Thanks a lot for your answer. How long does it actually take to be activated? If they put in the SIM once they entered the border it should not take more than 2hours right?

AnnS

Hi @Rain 

I was slighly misleading in my first reply.

The SIM should already be activated and roaming pre enabled on a PAYG SIM.  However, it is always best to top up and make the first chargeable activity in the UK, this way you will know there won't be any issues with the SIM connectivity for your family member in Germany.

The phone should display Vodafone UK almost immediately, although Vodafone mention 24 hours if you are in an area with good reception it shouldn't take that long.