Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pay as you go roaming

User73
1: Seeker

Hi everyone

I currently live in the Channel Islands & will be travelling to Europe soon for work. I will be in Europe for 4 months, after some research, it seems my best option for a phone is the Vodafone pay as you go. The problem is, there are no Vodafone shops where I live, and although I could order a SIM card, I would be worried about it arriving before I leave as mail is usually slow here. I have a colleague that will be in London this week and is staying near a Vodafone shop. Would it be possible for my colleague to collect a free Pay As You Go SIM on my behalf? Which will, of course, be topped use for use upon my receipt. What information would they need to provide for this?

Further to this, I would appreciate some confirmation/clarification on Roaming with Vodafone. The allowance from the £5, £10, £20 and £20 Big Value Bundles - is this allowance available to use in mainland Europe at no extra cost? For example, would the £30 Big Value Bundle would give me 20GB of data to use in Europe as if I was in the UK?  As well as this, if my allowance runs out/expires, will I simply be unable to use the phone? Or will Vodafone allow me to continue use, only to come home 4 months later to large and overdue bill through my letterbox?

EDIT: My current mobile is an iPhone 5S, which was purchased direct from Apple. As such, I don't foresee any issues regarding using a SIM card from a new network. If, however, there would be some sort of block applied to my phone when I use the Vodafone SIM card, or there will be a restriction that needs to be lifted for use of Data in Europe, I would like to know.

Any help offered in respect to my questions is hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @User73

All Vodafone PAYG tariff including roaming in a roam free EU destination.  There is further information for you below.

Vodafone PAYG 1 and Big Value Bundles

Vodafone PAYG top up

There is nothing stopping your colleague from collecting a PAYG SIM from a Vodafone Store, but before use the SIM will need to be topped up and activated in the UK in an unlocked phone and any roaming restriction removed.  As soon as this has been done, you are practically free to start using the service.

Please be aware that the free roaming is only intended for short periods of travel (holidays) and not for long periods of stay out of the UK.