Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Phone locked

charlieelsegood
3: Seeker

So i bought my grandparents two Vodafone smart turbo 7s. They live in southern ireland and i bought them from the UK. They came with two £10 English sims. However when i insert my grandparents sims it says that the network is locked, they have irish sims. Vodafone Ireland said they couldnt help me. Went to Vodafone UK and all they are saying is wait 30 days? Is this the case? I cant do anything for 30 days?

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@charlieelsegood I've just seen @Becca_P's post, which she wrote while I was also posting. She advises that making connection to Vodafone IE should also do the trick, which I hadn't expected. As you/your grandparents will need to make chargeable calls during this period, you might want to ensure that that both the UK SIMs have roaming enabled, so that calls can be made while connected to Vodafone IE.

I'd have thought that the plan you outline in your recent post, plus possibly some other calls while connected to Vodafone IE, sounds like a reasonable way forward.

charlieelsegood

Hello.

Just managed to unlock both phones! What I didn't know is that their needed to be £19.99 on each one to get the code! However once topped up both phones, the codes came through and phones are now working fine. Thanks for your help.

Charlie

@charlieelsegood

Unlocking is free both on Pay Monthly and Payg with Vodafone U.K.  

Somethings gone wrong. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N

Did they actually charge you that? Or, heaven help us all, did they insist there was £19.99  on the account before they'd unlock it, but then not actually charge you?

As @BandOfBrothers says, there is no charge. So, if you topped up on the basis of misinformation, you ought to be able to get the money refunded, although I fear you will be told that there are no refunds for PAYG.

I'd suggest Live Chat initially, via the link in Lee's signature, and launch Chat with Us if necessary. Or calling CS in 191. If you don't have any joy, come back here, so that one of the Forum Team can look into the matter.

charlieelsegood
As you said Annie, they said they need £19.99 on each account so then I topped up. Started Live chat - they can't do it! Want me to call them on 191 so will do - will let you know the result too! Bit disappointed with all of this tbh!

@charlieelsegood

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch, so that we can look into this for you.

For anyone else with the same issue, try the steps listed here and if you’re still affected, contact customer service.

charlieelsegood

Thanks for all your help!

Managed to speak to 191 - they are processing a refund now, for the both the phones. 

Only 1 and 1/2 months later....both phones unlocked...free of charge😂

Thanks anyway...

You're Welcome @charlieelsegood

It certainly wasn't right for the charge so it's good they are reversing this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@charlieelsegood

Thanks for letting us know you've got your refund.

We're happy to hear everything's now resolved.