Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Picture messages SMS

bicuspidarrow
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Just bought a Microsoft Lumia 650. PAYG. Want to send picture messages but have been given nothing but the runaround so far. (Text says go to website - website says text WEB - text says go to website. Try doing it manually: phone not listed. The FAQs a waste of time as always.) Massively frustrating.

My last phone (LG) wasn't supported - not a Vodafone handset, even though it was sold to me as one - but the 650 is not ultra-new and is in the local Vodafone shop.

Please help. Thanks. (Apologies if it's on the wrong board but, again, these preset categories aren't very useful. Why not let us tag things?)

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

Plesse do be aware mms texts are charged for as they are not part of your texting allowance. 

Alternatives such as viber or whatsapp maybe of interest. The other parties would need these downloaded too. 

Or good old email. 

That said......

I assume you've tried "Text WEB to 40127 (free from your Vodafone mobile)" Your phone may not be supported to recurve the settings via short code. 

If this was my phone idfirst check the apn settings. 

These are from Geeksquad here > Vodafone Apn's.

Windows 10 Mobile

From the Home screen:

Swipe right-to-left across the screen to open the Apps list.
Scroll down and tap Settings.
In the Settings menu, tap Network & wireless.
Tap Mobile & SIM.
Scroll down and tap SIM settings.
At the bottom of this page you will find separate buttons to add Internet and MMS APNs. Tap + Add an internet APN.
Enter the following settings into the onscreen form, without changing any other settings:
Profile name - Vodafone Internet
APN - internet (PAYG - pp.vodafone.co.uk)
Username - web (PAYG - wap)
Password - web (PAYG - wap)
(As a check, the image below left shows blue text in the fields you should have completed)
Tick the box to Use this APN for LTE...
Scroll to the bottom and tap Save.
Tap +Add MMS APN.
Enter the following settings into the onscreen form, without changing any other settings:
Profile name - Vodafone MMS
APN - internet (PAYG - pp.vodafone.co.uk)
Username - web (PAYG - wap)
Password - web (PAYG - wap)
Proxy server - 212.183.137.12
Proxy port - 8799
MMSC (URL) - http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms
Maximum MMS size - 307200
(As a check, the image below right shows blue text in the fields you should have completed)
Scroll to the bottom and tap Save.
With Wi-Fi turned off, you should now see 4G, 3G, H, E or G on the top line of the display, next to the signal bars. This indicates you are connected to the data network.

Alternatively these are the device set up for the Lumia 635 which maybe similar > Set-up-your-phone-for-picture-messaging.

I would also check with customer service on 191 or Live Chat that mms texting is provisioned on my account. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi

Thank you for your answers. At the risk of annoying you both, I've decided that I'm not going to bother. I assumed that I'd be able to send picture messages because I have bought an official Vodafone handset. I didn't even consider that the bundle I have - which is a different one from the one my partner has - would affect my ability to send pictures. I did try the WEB text, I have WhatsApp, and email, I can use Bluetooth ... and I've just discovered NFC. 

I'm still annoyed that my phone isn't listed on Vodafone's website - why does this kind of thing always happen to me? - but I'm sure I can cope. Perhaps I should have written my question in Word and not posted it. I feel now that I've wasted your time. So I apologise to both of you for that. With any luck I won't need to post on here again!

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@bicuspidarrow There is never a problem with anyone posting questions to these boards as without questions the boards would cease to exist. Also this may help others who have or may have the same problem.

Hi @bicuspidarrow

We are here to help and guide and as importantly learn. 

No apologies warranted or necessary.  :Smiling:

You may find its a case of ringing customer service or using Live Chat to have your account provisioned for mms as I mentioned. 

However you decide to proceed ,take care. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @bicuspidarrow

As you have purchased the phone direct from Vodafone the correct settings will already be preinstalled on your phone.

When  you sent an MMS, you need to use you need to be using mobile data.  You also need to be in an area where there is good reception on your phone.

As your service provider, Vodafone will need to provision MMS on your account, if you contact Vodafone by Live Chat or calling, an advisor will be able to enable MMS on your account.

There is further information  for you below, with a link for MMS problems.

Picture and Video Messaging Support