Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Re-Using sim card

Nick_Bartelo
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello! My name is Nick and I am from the US and I spent the summer in the United Kingdom, leaving in late August. I bought a SIM card when I arrived, downloaded the app, and really enjoyed my Vodaphone service. My friend is spending time in the UK starting in January. I read in a post that the phone number is not deleted for 180 days after the last usage, which I was hoping would mean that we can re-activate the SIM card when she leaves for the UK, since 180 days would not have elapsed by then. Please let me know if this is possible or if there is any other information you need in order to answer this question. I look forward to your response. Thank you in advance!

(She also has an apple phone and I had a Samsung, which is why I marked "Other OS")

10 REPLIES 10

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Nick_Bartelo 

If the SIM card was last used August your friend won't have any problems using the same SIM card January. The first thing your friend will need to do will be to add some credit and make a chargeable connection, this will reactivate the SIM card.

The following links will help.

How can I top up my phone or another number? 

PAYG top up 

However, if the number is not important, your friend will be able to get a new SIM card from a store and add a bundle by following the information below.

PAYG Big Value 

How can I buy or opt in to a Big Value Bundle? 

@BandOfBrothers 

I have merged your reply to the thread.

BandOfBrothers

A Vodafone UK Payg sim card should not de activate for 270 days

i.e 180 days as you mention then a further 90 days is usually given as long as some usage is made within that time period i.e making calls , texting or topping up @Nick_Bartelo 

If no usage is made after 270 days then Vodafone UK can de activate and suspend the account and quarantine the phone number meaning it is hard to get back.

Have you tried ringing the Vodafone number to see if it connects ?

If a Vodafone Payg sim card has de activated then a person can pick one up a new one at any Vodafone UK store ,most  grocery stores and shopping malls. That would mean a new Vodafone UK Payg mobile number.

I've moved your thread to the Pay As You Go Section.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you both! I really appreciate your quick responses. I will put the SIM card in my phone and have someone call it to make sure the number is working. Have a great day!

You're very welcome @Nick_Bartelo 

:Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Sorry I have one more thing. The My Vodafone app is requiring me to register for MYVodafone to get back into the app. I tried to register with my device number, but it says in the Vodafone or Vodafone CU phone number position "the phone number must be an active Vodafone or Vodafone CU number" and then when the number is typed in that I used in the UK, it says it is Invalid. The SIM card is not in the device currently. Does the SIM card need to be in a phone to be able to register the number? If not, does this mean that the number will no longer work? Thanks again! 

A person does not need to use the myvodafone app in order for the Vodafone mobile number to work.

Insert the sim in the phone and you'll be able to see of it's working as the Vodafone name should appear in the phones status bar at the top.

The myvodafone app and online myvodafone are useful tools for checking how much allowances they have and to top up etc but not using them wont stop the use of the number @Nick_Bartelo 

Current Phone  >

Dear @BandOfBrothers 

Thank you so much for your help! I have put the Vodafone SIM card in the phone that is being taken to the UK. It is still in the US and I was hoping I could Top Up here before it reaches the UK so that the phone is ready to go upon arrival. However, I am unable to register the phone number (The one I used when I was in the UK). Whenever an attempt is made to register the number, it says that the number is invalid. Instead of the phone saying 'Vodafone' in the status bar at the top, it says T Mobile. Does this mean that the phone must be in the UK to be able to register the SIM card in the new phone? This may have been answered before, and I apologize if it was. 

A side comment is that I would like to change the payment method for the chip and I was wondering how to go about doing that. I look forward to your response and thank you in advance. 

Best,

Nick

Hi @Nick_Bartelo 

Yes it could be the case that you'll need to try again when in the UK.

You can only top up using a UK bank card or via a Vodafone UK Payg Top Up voucher or one of the other ways as explained in the below link.

》 How-can-I-top-up-my-phone-or-another-number. 

Are you on tmobile in the states ?

As long as your phone is unlocked to all networks then if the Vodafone sim card hasn't de activated then it should change to Vodafone.

To recap.......

If it has de activated then it would be a case of contacting Vodafone via contact-us  to see if they can re activate or pick up a new Vodafone Payg sim card with a new number.

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @Nick_Bartelo 

The reason the phone has T Mobile for the connection is because you are roaming on T Mobile in the US, you will probably have an R for roaming, at least this proves the SIM is still active.  When you arrive in the UK and are on the local network this will change to Vodafone UK.

I would also recommend following this link Calling Abroad from the UK and add International saver to the account, unless things have changed still free to opt in for PAYG, this will save you a lot of money callling home to the US.  As well as following the links for topping up and adding a Big Value Bundle to take care of your needs whilst in the UK, you will also need additional credit for your international calling to the US.