Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Regional IP while roaming

Dellfox
1: Seeker

Hello!

I've got a question regarding roaming in the EU: when connecting to the Internet will I get a local IP or a UK one?
I searched online for an answer and it seems to depend on the provider.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

That's a good question.

You used to get a local IP however that seems to have changed. We've had people on other threads reporting to have a UK IP when roaming abroad so I decided to test my Greek sim card and low an behold, it's a Vodafone Greece account, roaming on Vodafone UK, my IP was Vodafone Panafon Hellenic Telecommunications. So a Greek IP.

I think this is the way things are going for all providers so they can provide you with the same internet experience abroad (e.g. no more suffering as a result of geoblocks).

But you're not going to know for sure until you land, log on and search my IP address.

Which country are you going to BTW?

Italy.

I read online about similar experiences, but it was Americans coming here, so I thought it could be just a different kind of roaming.

If that's the case (that is, having a UK IP abroad) it could be a nuisance: I'd have the usual internet experience, but It would also probably be way slower (due to the data routing) and online purchases on local shops (/museums etc) could fail because I would appear as connecting from another country.

That's unfortunate.