main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Pay as you go

Repeat: Cannot login to Vodafone account - server errors (Java overflow) or "We're working hard...

4: Newbie

Your team are in touch with me. The reference is [#17696401].

Thanks.

View more options

@Growltiger Please continue to keep us updated and pop back to us if you're not getting the resolution you require. We'll be happy to see if there's anything else we can do to get this fixed for you.

View more options
2: Seeker

As already reported on numerous occasions, the 'java.lang.StackOverflowError' messages have been occuring for at least 3-4 months on all three major browsers.

This appears to be a server side problem, first appearing after a website facelift. According to https://docs.oracle.com: "Cause: An exception was not handled by any error handlder (sic).

Action: Contact Oracle Support Services."

From the Vodafone user perspective it is easily overcome. After entering the security code, select OK to clear the error message, then select 'My account (logged in)' again at the top right of the browser display. The display will refressh and account access is granted. Not sure how secure the connection is at this point, but at least account management can now proceed.

That bodge used to partially work but it did not allow one to get at the account settings.

Then at least for me, it stopped working entirely.

I have become permanently locked out of both accounts. No amount of password resets and work by Vodafone support have managed to get them working. They even "deep cleaned" them, requiring new accounts to be set up. Even that did not work.

I have had so many phone calls with Vodafone calling me, going though things on my computer. These procedures have always failed to allow me access. I have now not heard anything more from Vodafone since my last message here. I don't know if they have simply given up.

What I have realised is that perhaps there is no future in having an online account, perhaps the idea is that they are obsolete and users should not have them. I have installed the Vodafone app on the phones and that does work. I can check the balance and I can add money to the account, so I have the minimum needed to keep going.

I have become tired of trying to get the problem fixed after so much time and effort.

I don't blame the support people here at all, the real problem is with the technical management who don't have a proper escalation procedure, don't have professional server monitoring, don't get problems fixed and don't test their work.

View more options
13: Advanced Member

@Growltiger

I'm so grateful that you've given an update on your experience, as I'd wondered whether the silence on other threads meant that all the folk who sought help with this problem got it sorted via their accounts. I was sceptical, but it did seem a possibility! In the light of your experience, I think I'll stick with Annie_N's workaround while it still works for me.

Maybe the future is the app - but I've discovered that, if your phone is too old to get the latest version of the app, you don't seem able to top up within the app. So, unless the technical people get the idea about testing their work, that particular future may not be too rosy either.

View more options

I'm glad you found it useful.

The other trick is that you can top-up without having your account working, You use this link:

https://topup.vodafone.co.uk/topup/

Perhaps they have provided this for all the people who can't login to their online accounts. Anyway, it works.

View more options

@LDT44 – I understand from your other post that you’ve been in in touch with our Customer Relations team. If your account is now being handled by them, then I’m sorry we’re unable to intervene.

I hope this gets resolved for you and everyone as soon as possible.

@Growltiger - Please don’t think we’ve forgotten about you! So that we can check what’s happening, please reply to the last email we sent on 20 January.

@ToniCa - I’ve replied to your other post.

View more options

"@Growltiger - Please don’t think we’ve forgotten about you! So that we can check what’s happening, please reply to the last email we sent on 20 January."

@Gemma

I have just replied to the email of 20 January as you requested. That was the last email I received, it said there would be progress in 48 to 72 hours. I have heard nothing since.

View more options

Vodafone had another try today, but only did what has been done many times before - they set up yet another new account. It didn't work, so no progress yet. I have been told what I was told before, I can expect progress in a few days time...

View more options

Had a text today saying everything had been fixed. Full of enthusiasm I tried logging in.

Same errors as usual.

I even tried Live Chat, they couldn't help, complete waste of my time.

But I now have yet another username, I think I have five now. And I have lost contact with my PIN number, I have no idea what it has been set to when the account was wiped one time.

Hopeless, hopeless, hopeless.

View more options
Administrator

@Growltiger I'm sorry to see you're still having issues with this error. 

If you haven't already, please send us a reply to the latest email you've received and a member of the team can pick your query back up from there. 

View more options

@Alex

Your team are in touch with me. The reference is [#17696401].

But they seem powerless to help. They escalate it to the "internal team", but the people they escalate it to don't understand the problem, they just think they need to fix the account. They don't also fix the problem with the server that checks the 6 digit security code. There seems no way for you to contact the team that look after the servers.

Thanks.

View more options
13: Advanced Member

Presumably you're still meaning the Java Stack Overflow problem? I still get it most of the time, but fortunately the workaround still works for me. I'm not willing to respond to the team PM offering help, largely based on your experience, as I'm almost entirely sure that messing around with my account won't solve the issue, and could well disrupt my present level of account access, which is fine as long as I concentrate on finding relevant LHS links, rather than letting myself be beguiled by the more obvious RHS ones.

View more options

Yes, the Java error on the server is still there.

But after all the many Vodafone interventions, by phone, chat, social media team, and several escalations, the countless password changes, and all the new usernames, the system is in such a muddle that I can't even begin to login.

PS. - to Vodafone Social Media Team - a suggestion. When you phone up someone, you currently say "I'm calling from the Social Media Team". Instead you should say "I'm calling from the Vodafone Social Media Team". I was puzzled the first time but now I know. When my wife answered the phone for me last time she replied to you "He isn't interested in buying any Social Media thank you", and ended the call.

View more options
Administrator

@Growltiger The workaround from one of our Community Champions is here if you wished to give it a try. 

Thanks for the feedback regarding the person who called you from our team. 

It should be as you've stated, apologies if this wasn't the case. For example if I was calling, it'd be: 
'Hi it's Alex calling from the Social Media team at Vodafone...' 

View more options

@alex

Thank you for your reply. I am aware of the workaround. Unfortunately as I wrote above we are completely locked out of our accounts so now we never even get to the point where the 6 digit code is sent to us.

View more options

@Growltiger Thanks for getting back to us - it's disappointing to see the workaround hasn't helped with accessing your account 

I can see our team are continuing to monitor this for you. Once they have any updates from the dedicated team, they'll be in touch with further information.

View more options

I just wasted yet another 20 minutes trying again. I received an email today - with the new different reference number, telling me everything was fine. It gave the usual advice about cache, cookies and browsers. Since I no longer know my PIN number this always makes things harder as it is not so easy to do a password reset. Catch-22 means I can't set a PIN as I cannot access the account.

Things just keep getting more muddled at Vodafone. I have so many usernames now, and I'm not allowed to simply have my email address as the username.

Here is the email I received today , which was using a different reference [#18093472] - it can't be a good idea to use two references, I told them last time to use the one I have always had, so this time I replied to the main reference, [#17696401],

Hello Richard,

Thanks again for letting us know you had an issue logging in to your online account. We’ve taken a look and everything seems to be working. However, if you’re still experiencing problems there are a few things you can try:

• Make sure you’re using the username ************
  • Reset your password by clicking ‘forgot my password’ on the login page
  • Delete your cookies, then try to login again.
  • Try a different browser, like Internet Explorer or Chrome. Occasionally, certain browsers can cause issues.

Still no joy?

Please get back to us with the confirmation to delete your online account so that we could re-register. 

Kind regards,
Vishal [Removed]

The Customer Care Team

Here is my reply:

No progress at all. I did the usual deletion of cookies and cache. If you look back you will see I have tried all the internet browsers in the world.

I can't reset my password as I no longer know my PIN number or my memorable word, following your previous deletion and setting up of my account. If you had set the PIN for me then I would be able to proceed.

I then had it send a code to my phone, which worked, but when I tried using it I cot the same error as before the "We're working hard" one.

Please can you stop using this new reference number [#18093472] and stick to the main reference [#17696401] which has all the earlier conversations. Otherwise the confusion grows even greater. I will send this reply to the correct, main reference.

Three months have passed. It is a total mess. Please will you totally delete both our online accounts so we can start from scratch. Please can you also delete whichever account uses my email address so I can use that as my username.

As you know my wife's phone number is ************. We have communicated many times about this account as well.

Regards
Richard Beal

Last year, until we changed SIM cards, both our accounts worked fine. Surely Vodafone can try a bit harder to get us back to normal?

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove personal content please see Community Guidelines]

View more options

@Growltiger I'm really sorry to hear this is still ongoing and know how frustrating this must be.

As you've given permission for the team to do a complete deletion of your online account, please keep your eyes peeled for a reply with an update and pop back to us as soon as you hear anything. 

View more options

My wife received a text saying her account was deleted but she should wait 24 hours. I have not received one.

View more options