cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Retrieving an old mobile number, how to go about it?

markc89
2: Seeker

Hello to all,

I'm looking for a little help, or should I say information on retrieving an old mobile number that I once had with Vodafone. However, I had this number in questions most probably touching just over 10 years ago!

I do remember the number very well and after a search to find out who the owner/carrier is, it does indeed come back as Vodafone. I've even tried calling the number and it's currently not in use.

Initial thoughts and comments I'm sure will be that there's no chance, and indeed it may have even been used by somebody else after me. However, surely there must be some way to retrieve an old number, not in use. I used to work for a telecommunications company and providing that the number was not use and was not in a quarantine pool, we could reassign all numbers that originated within our company. In fact, some time ago you could even buy the number and we could hold it.

I know every company is different but I have a feel it's more of a case of we can't really be bothered, or don't bother us with stupid requests, just take a god damn new number and let me get back to chomping on my pen.

Having spoken with customer services PayAsYouGo, I found them very unhelpful, as expected in all honesty. They simply searched the number and said I can't find it. Now, however, I'm looking for a serious answer with some possible positive outcome.

How can I retrieve this number? even if it means paying to Vodafone for it? I don't even mind being on the Vodafone network in order just to have it. And more so, who in Vodafone will be most likely to help and point me in the right direction.

Thank you to all in advance.

Mark

108 REPLIES 108

Could you help me please?

Hi all, 

I'm trying to retrieve my old Vodafone number in the hope I can possibly get in contact with an old relative as that’s the only number they have for me. I have tried calling Vodafone but they are not very helpful at all, all they say is it can’t be done as it’s past 90 days. It feels like they can’t be asked by saying the number is lost in their system, a number having 11 unique digits should be easily to locate in my simple mind.Has anyone had any success retrieving their old number or who could help.  Any help is appreciated.Thanks 

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

It does all depend on the time elapsed @Amero 

Have you tried ringing the number to see if it's still live and been passed to someone new or is it dead.

The timeframe is 90 days after it's been deactivated and then it's put back into the number pool at a later date or can be passed to another network if was originally at some point on another network originally.

Customer services are the right department to speak to.

You could also speak with the Vodafone Social Media Team's via Twitter or Facebook Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I have rung the number it’s definitely deactivated and it is an original Vodafone number. Was hoping they can actually do something about it, i shall get in contact with Vodafone over social media hopefully someone’s bothers to help from Vodafone, thanks for the idea. 

Sjhoads

Hi there, 

This thread has been really helpful as I have a similar issue relating to my old Pay Monthly number. My contract ended in 2016 and since then I've used a PAYG with a new number. 

I recently updated the Whatsapp app on my mobile and was prompted to enter a verification code which was sent to my old number - clearly I cannot access this any more but Whatsapp will no longer let me in until I verify a number. I could of course do this using my current number but I will lose my entire chat history. 

This sounds like a trivial problem but my partner recently passed away and I am desperately trying to save our correspondence. 

Ive spoken to Whatsapp who simply said "can't help". After trawling the net it seems as though getting the original number back is the only way to get back into my original Whatsapp account. 

Ive called Vodafone who said the number has been de-activated and cannot be assigned back to me. 

Is this really the end of the road?? 

I'm not sure if this makes any difference but the sim has been in a phone that I use to connect to the internet and log in regularly so I think the sim is still active. 

I would really appreciate some advice as to where to turn next. 

Thanks in advance. 

Thank you so much @anns for your reply. 

I did think the number may have already been issued to someone else as you explained but I've tried to call it and it does not seem to be in use (i.e. It doesn't even ring). 

The problem with your suggestion in Whatsapp is that I can't open the app at all right now without going through the verification process. I assume that if I verify it using my new number when I get in there will be no chat with my partner or, I guess, with anyone as it would be a new account.  Or have I misunderstood?? So far I haven't gone through the verification process with the new number as I'm worried that doing so would permanently erase the old account. 

Incidentally, it was backed up to the iCloud but I can't view it...

@markc89 did you ever manage to get hold of your original number??

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

From what I've found @Sjhoads, it does look like the number would need to be the same as the one that backed up the data on Whatsapp. So when going through the verification code with your new number, this wouldn't bring up your old number's data it seems.

I completely understand the importance of this and want to see what we can do in terms of re-activating the number. As such a long time has passed, we may not be able to bring the number back but we can take a closer look into this to see if it's an option. Please send us a private message on Twitter or Facebook with your Community username, a link to your post here and the mobile number you previously had with us in 2016.

Thank you so much Natasha. 

I am crossing my fingers that you may find a way to get the number back. 

I have sent the Private Message on Facebook and included all the details you have asked for. 

Thanks again, 

Sarah-Jane

Hi, I'd like to retrieve an old number I had from early/mid90s and gave up in 2012 when I got a company phone. My wife still has the same Vodafone account, which used to have both our numbers on it but now just has hers. Chap at call-centre told us that numbers are lost after 3 months, but I think there might be a bit more scope to find it. It has never been used (I've checked occasionally) and still shows on Network Lookup as being with Vodafone. I know it's possible it's been reallocated to SIM which is in a shop or some such, in which case it's a bummer. But I wonder if it might be possible to find out where this particular number is? 

BandOfBrothers

@Eric123 as there is no longer account access via this forum anymore you would need to approach Customer services  or the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

They will be able to officially advise if your number can be returned to you or not.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.