main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Pay as you go

Sim card with phone no?

andrewkennedy
4: Newbie

Question 1)  Is it the case that when you buy a pay-as-you-go Sim Card there is a phone number included?   2) Can I transfer my present number to the new Sim/phone?    Are Vodaphone in France!! I live and would prefer a French number.

View more options
6 REPLIES 6
AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @andrewkennedy

All PAYG SIM's come with a number attached, you can't have a service without a number,

From your other questions on the forum.

Vodafone have roaming agreements with French networks.

As you are resident in France and not the UK, this means you will need to make all enquiries for your French number with a French network.

If you were a UK resident, you would be able to take out a PAYG number with a UK number and +44 UK code.

Having a French number is not something Vodafone UK will be able to help you with.

View more options
hrym

If you have a PAYG number already, it should be possible to transfer it to a new SIM if you need a different one.   A Vodafone shop will be able to do this for you.

If you want a French number, you'll need to buy a local SIM there.   Obviously, you wouldn't want to transfer a UK number to it and I'm not sure that would be possible anyway.   I'm not sure if Vodafone operate in France but, even if they do, it would be a separate company and there's no connection with Vodafone UK, so you'd have a completely different account.

View more options
andrewkennedy

Thanks for that... answers all my questions!!     As I live in France and would prefer to have a PAYG Vodafone sim which I cannot buy in France or have Vodafone send  me one direct from the UK.....I suppose there is no reason why I shouldnt/couldnt order one from Vodafone, have it sent to a UK address and then have it forwarded on to me in France and then activate with my mobile while in France?   The UK address I would use for the ordering would also be the billing address for top-ups?!?   Any thoughts? Andrew

View more options
BandOfBrothers

I would suggest having the sim.card activated before it leaves the UK and any roaming bar is lifted. 

Current Phone >

Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Previous Phone >

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G - SM9860.

View more options
AnnS

Hi @andrewkennedy

If you are intending to use a Vodafone UK card in France, it might be worth mentioning that Global Roaming has a fair usage policy and is only intended for short periodic periods abroad, not for long terms use. You need to refer to the Terms and Conditions on the link below.

Global Roaming Terms and Conditions

Since you live in France, you really need a French SIM card and a French number.

View more options
andrewkennedy

Point taken.   I will have a French Sim for home use and a Vodafone for traveling. Andrew

View more options