Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Strange data added to my bill

housesearch22
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

'My Vodafone' warned me today that I have almost used up all of my 3gb of date 9 days into the month. 

I phoned up Vodafone to check, because the data usage in my settings says that I have used less than 1gb.

The man from Vodafone said that I had used nearly 3GB. After a lot of complaining the man on the phone agreed to check my bill with a calculator and found that I had actually used less than 1GB.

Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone else been charged for going over your allowance? 

I can't beleive that the only way Vodafone can find the truth about my bill was to use a handheld calculator!

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

There has been similar questions raised yes wgen the account holder knows that the amount of data used does not.look right. 

Now most phones have data monitors it's much easier to see what's been used and what it's been used by. These need to be reset usually at each allowance refresh. 

Unfortunatley Vodafone can only say how much is showing as used but not by what. 

It's always a good idea to monitor ones usage and definitely raise a query if needed. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@housesearch22 That does indeed sound strange, especially the need for a calculator! As I don't think 3GB is one of the current standard PAYG allowances, does it include some data rolled over from the previous 30 days? What I'm wondering is whether something could have gone wrong with the rollover?

Presumably you haven't had anything similar happen in a previous month?

Most current smartphones include a data monitor or counter of some sort - perhaps that's what you are finding in Settings? I also use a data counter widget, but there are assorted other apps which do the same. They're not always 100% in agreement with Vodafone's measure, but usually pretty near, so one of these would be a useful double-check on your data usage from now on - but download it over wifi!

I'd suggest only switching on mobile data when you definitely need it for the moment, and also checking that your settings in the Play Store app are set to auto-update apps over wifi only. There's other potentially useful information here, including a link to Extras if you should decided you need one.