Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Switching from PAYG to Pay Monthly

Marrea
4: Newbie

I think I have made a big mistake.  I received a “You’re eligible for a discount” email from Vodafone on 12 January, as follows:

“Thanks again for choosing Pay as you go with Vodafone.  As an existing customer, we want you to enjoy our best deals on data, minutes and texts – so why not move to one of our great-value Pay monthly SIM only plans?  There’s a range to choose from, and you’re eligible for an exclusive discount.  Take a look at a plan we’ve picked out for you below.  Red Extra 7GB plan.  For you, just £9.00 a month, 7GB of data, unlimited minutes and unlimited texts on a 12-month plan.”

This sounded attractive, so I applied.  Vodafone are currently doing a credit check and I am awaiting their response.  However I suddenly realised that I have £30 credit still on my PAYG bundle and I wondered how I get that money back.  To my dismay I have just found https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Pay-monthly/Understanding-Pay-monthly/1464003822/How-do-I-switch-betw... which states “Make sure you use up any credit you have left on your Pay as you go SIM, because we can’t transfer it to your Pay monthly account.”

If a switch from PAYG to Pay Monthly is made, is there a cooling off period so I can cancel and then wait until I have used up my £30 before I change to Pay Monthly? 

26 REPLIES 26

When you're checking your credit reports, are your personal details matching up? Such as your current address. We look forward to hearing from you once you've been into the store 🙂

Well the only one I’ve used so far is Experian.  I believe Equifax and TransUnion are the only others which provide free access, so perhaps I should try them as well.  I can’t think of any reason why my personal details wouldn’t match up.  I changed my surname on marriage (nearly 41 years ago now) to my husband’s and we are still at the same address we moved to then.

Just to bring you up to date, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a telephone call from Lee at Vodafone today about my failed attempt to switch to Pay Monthly.  Surprisingly, he said that some other customers had also recently experienced similar difficulties to mine and he was ringing to see if I was still interested in switching from PAYG.  I thought I’ll see what he has to offer, one of which was a package of unlimited calls and texts and 15GB data on a 12 month SIM at £8 a month.  This sounded ideal for my needs and he proceeded to set it all up for me on the phone.  All I had to do was to switch my phone off and turn it on again and, as AnnS mentioned, go into the APN settings and change PAYG WNP to Contract WAP. 

Something I need to check is that I have received a text message saying my voicemail had been switched off. If I change my mind, to get in touch by visiting www.vodafone.co.uk/contactus which I think I will need to do.  I don’t recall during our conversation that this was mentioned but I would certainly like to keep voicemail.  Later edit - I  didn't know how to do this but have discovered it is simply a matter of calling 1211, which I have now done.

I think I will just soldier on with my existing phone for a little longer even though the battery does not last as long as I would like.  But it is still manageable at the moment.

Top marks to Lee for being so helpful and patient with me.  

Over the last few days I have been receiving a message on my phone when I turn it on as follows:  “PAYG WAP You are about to install settings for:  internet” with options to either “Cancel” or “Install”.  As I have recently changed from PAYG to Pay Monthly, I am not sure why I am receiving a message relating to PAYG.  I simply choose Cancel, but is there a way I can stop this message appearing? 

Incidentally, surprisingly the battery on my phone appears to have found a new lease of life and has been performing quite well recently so hopefully I can delay the purchase of a new phone for a while longer!

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hey @Marrea 

I suspect the problem here is you are using the same SIM card as when you were on PAYG, you can get a replacement SIM here: SIM swap , Vodafone will need to send a security text to the phone, when this has been completed you can swap the SIM over.

If you have selected pay monthly on your network settings, before going for a SIM swap, try updating the SIM on the network and configuring the internet settings by texting WEB to 40127.  There is also further information from device guides here: Device Guides 

See how it goes and speak soon.

Many thanks for this AnnS. When I was switched from PAYG to Pay Monthly, which was done over the phone while talking to a member of Vodafone staff, when he had finished he said all I had to then do to complete the procedure was to turn my phone off and then turn it back on again.  And sure enough when I did this I had been changed to Pay Monthly.  And then, later, as you suggested earlier in this thread, I went into the APN settings and changed PAYG WNP to Contract WAP.

This morning, as a first step, I have texted WEB to 40127.  I will see if that cures the “PAYG WAP You are about to install settings for: internet” message problem over the next few days and report back.

It's now four days since I texted WEB to 40127 and so far have not been bothered by the message any more so fingers crossed that has solved the problem.