Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Tethering without SIM

Beckie50
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Travelling to turkey as a family of four. If I purchase a data SIM or big value bundle for my phone can the others tether to use my data? Also if I removed their sims (they're with other networks and don't want accidental charges) would tethering still work and could they access internet? Just trying to find most cost effective way. There is wifi at the hotel for 2 devices included. Although not sure how good it will be. Also if I got the data only can I add call minutes? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Yes tethering is available on Vodafone Payg but beware it could be used faster and the battery on your phone would diminish faster.

A data sim is meant for a dongle

Just make sure the roaming bar is off via your myvodafone or the Vodafone store can do it for you or customer service on 191 or live Chat.

More about abroad usage > travelling-abroad.

No need to remove the other persons sims.

Just advise them to go into their phones settings and turn Off Mobile Data.

That'll stop any accidental data connection. 

If might be worth also having your phone unlocked to all network's just incase you need to use a local sim card if service via the Vodafone Payg sim card isn't good @Beckie50 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @Beckie50 

If only all networks offered inclusive roaming in Turkey, fortunately Vodafone offer the service.

You could certainly set up a WiFi hotspot using the hotel WiFi connection.  To find how this can be done follow this link:  How do I share my device’s data connection through a personal hotspot or tethering?

You will also need to contact Vodafone to ask them to enable hotspot to your account.

As far as Big Value bundles are concerned, roaming will be pre enabled by default for PAYG and the largest amount of data you would be able to purchase would be 20GB and this will quickly be used. 

If the other networks phones are unlocked, it might even be worth considering purchasing a Big Value for two of the phones on other networks and that will leave you with 2 phones able to use the hotel WiFi, the hotel may even be able to include the other two phones for an additional charge.  There should also be cafes and places where there will be WiFi available free of charges.

Although data usage is calculated by the network, in this case the roaming network, you can monitor your data usage from the phone.  If you are using Android this is done by settings, Wireless and Networks, mobile data.  WiFi is a handset feature and not network, just put the other phones on offline mode and continue to use the hotspot and any provided WiFi.