Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Text message received from Vodafone about them calling me

ReedPR
8: Helper
8: Helper

I received a text message from Vodafone yesterday to say I should expect a phone call 'sometime next week' about me running out of credit all the time and for them to make me aware of special deals.

Now, 'sometime next week' isn't exactly the most accurate of time frames. Although I am not the busiest of people, there are times that my diary does have entries in it. How am I supposed to make myself free for a phone call when I do not even know when exactly it is?

Already I can guess what the phone call will be about as the text message mentions passing credit checks so it's obviously deals with contract sim only plans or phones which neither am I interested in as I prefer pay as you go for it's change to suit tariffs depending on the financial situation each month. 

I am aware of how to sign out of receiving phone calls from Vodafone and all the marketing options but would appreciate some assistance into how I can get a more accurate timeframe when they are contacting me rather than receive call when I'm actually busy or not available.

Thank you very much.Screenshot_20190803-001044.png

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

@ReedPR 

If this was me I'd just forget about the text message suggesting I will get a call and get on with my daily life especially if the offer of upgrading to sim only or a Pay Monthly Contract didn't interest me.

If and when the call happens just ignore it or call 191 or use Live Chat and ask for the call not to happen.

You can tell if its Vodafone calling as they only use the numbers listed in Is-it-Vodafone-calling.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @ReedPR 

This will probably be the Outsourced Sales Team hoping to sell you a monthly contract. I hate these calls and never answer any unknown or withheld numbers.

Although you are aware of the marketing options, the best thing to do is to make sure you are opted out of all marketing calls and texts by following the information here:  How can I manage my personal information held by Vodafone UK?  and further information here:  Our Privacy PortalThe preferences can be updated through your online account and the My Vodafone Application, you should also be able to text STOP to 9774 to opt out of marketing calls.  The only thing to remember it can take up to 30 working days for this to take effect.   

If you receive the call sometime next week and don't want to listen to someone trying to sell you a Vodafone product just ignore the call and add the number to the call blocking facility in your phone.

@BandofBrothers I concur with your sound advice and will indeed carry on with my life and pretend I never got a phone call 'sometime next week'. It is the very first time of me getting one of these texts and I have had at least 7 different sim numbers over the years. I guess I pulled the short straw with this sim number!

@AnnS. Equally your advice and useful information is a godsend received with gratitude. 

I am shocked at the sheer amount of phone numbers Vodafone has all to be used in contacting people to pay more money on products customers may very well ever want or need. Whilst I am writing this reply, I had a text message to say I'm running low on data and that I would be better off getting a bigger big value bundle. Now that is common sense in a single text message received promptly and no waiting for 'sometime next week' to give me the information I needed to know about better value products! There must be a lesson learned for someone here (hint hint Vodafone, it maybe you. And don't call me sometime next week for the answer!).

BandOfBrothers

You're very @ReedPR 

Personally I wouldn't add the number to your blocking feature if relevant on your model of phone as you may at sometime wish to recieve such a call and have forgotten you've added the number to be blocked  :Winking_smiley:

I typically receive texts etc inviting me to reply with a short code to benefit from some free data etc,  or how to use my reward points from Vodafone.

At some point I may take up one of the offers but for me Vodafone Payg1 is enough for my current wants and needs. 

Take care.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

@ReedPR

If you add the number to the phone blocking list it will only be for the number calling you, it won't stop anything from other numbers or short code promotional texts messages from Vodafone. 

Also, if you decide to totally opt out of marketing calls and texts messages, the numbers on the calling list won't be contacting you with any further marketing calls.  Adding the number to the phone call blocking list will prevent any further calls to your phone during the 30 working days it takes for the opt out to become effective.

@BandOfBrothers you only use payg1 as in you pay a £1.00 per day for unlimited texts, calls and 500mb data? I'm assuming your wifi needs are covered adequately or you would use all your data helping Vodafones out all day! I would ask them to pay your daily charges as a fee for being so helpful 😉

I normally resort to that if I have a pound or two spare if I run out of data at  end of month which just so happens to be frequently! I complained to live chat about something (cannot remember details now as I complain often to live chat team!) and the agent actually sent me a 40gb data pack for free. I didn't even think these were even available to buy! I've seen £30 big value bundle but nothing for £40. I know a champion or two who will provide me with the information I need! And I won't have to wait until next week for it either!

@AnnS

Ah now the plot thickens! You have indirectly answered my own thoughts as to why there is a seemingly endless supply of Vodafone phone numbers for sales purposes! They know no-one is going to manually block them all one-by-one and hope one of the calls gets through to you! Very cheeky on Vodafones part but your plot to call us has failed! You have been caught out fair and square 😂

I told you I was sarcastic @AnnS 😉