Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Top Up Card

gaz83
4: Newbie

Hi I got a new top up card today and range 2345 to link it and follow the instructions, but I couldn't hear any options to link a new card could someone help out please

Its ok now i figured it out :smileyhappy:

12 REPLIES 12

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's strange to see this information is available on some pages but not others @ToniCa. I can see it's not available on the link Alex provided. If you've got any examples of where this is available, we'll be happy to look into why we are providing conflicting information and get this corrected.

ToniCa
13: Advanced Member

@Mark It's not exactly conflicting information, It's just omitted from the obvious place. I'm not sure whether it appears on some other Support page, although I'm sure that it gets mentioned in ancient history on the forum.

My feeling is I first became aware of the USSD code from a post on the forum; since then, well, sometimes it's listed on the "ways to top up" page, sometimes it isn't - no idea why - but it's very useful, so I have an all-purpose version of it saved in my contacts, and I just feed in my voucher number if I want to use it.

The top-up/swipe cards used to be very common, and I think they used to be listed amongst "ways to top up", but they are much less used these days. However, customers are clearly managing to obtain them from somewhere, and are wanting to associate them with their individual phone numbers, so a few clues in Support about how to do it would be helpful. I have a small bundle of them in a desk drawer, in order to top up for elderly relatives - the cards all kept going long past the expiry dates shown on the cards, but the magnetic stripe eventually stopped working on some, and for others the elderly relatives passed on. One seems to be linked to my own phone, but these days I usually use top-up vouchers, and I've no idea whether the card actually works!

ToniCa
13: Advanced Member

Update: I needed a new top-up voucher, so paid rather more than my usual attention when buying it yesterday.

Having scanned the rest of my shopping, as usual I pressed the "buy airtime or top-up" button on the touchscreen. Normally I've then pressed "buy top-up voucher" and selected first the network then the value, but I clearly haven't registered on the primary option, which is to swipe my top-up card. I didn't have my top-up card with me, so settled for a voucher, but today I returned with top-up card clutched in my sticky paw!

The card has an expiry date of 07/12 clearly printed on the front, so I wasn't too hopeful, and there were two possible places for swiping a card, but having identified which to use, I was pleased to be offered a choice of values from £5 to £50. It didn't actually say which network we were talking about, but I chose £5, and was glad to see a £5 Vodafone top-up added to my bill. The acknowledgement slip gave the card number rather than my phone number, but promised that the topup would be applied within 10 minutes. My walk home takes 8 minutes, and sure enough I got my text from 27822, confirming the addition of 50 Rewards points, at about the half-way point.

I feel reasonably sure that I haven't used the top-up card since 2010, but it was still ready for action. And all the modern self-scan tills in my local supermarket (the one where every little helps) are able to accept swipe cards, so clearly there are still a lot of customers wanting this facility. So wake up Vodafone, tell your customers where they can obtain the cards, and give them some clues on linking a new card to their phone number.