Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Top up not working from abroad (PAYG)

Billaf
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello,

I am experiencing some problems topping up my PAYG mobile phone from abroad.

The credit has run out and tried to top up online but an error occurs after entering all the details, I tried both with a credit and debit card.

The bank is saying the payments were authorised but not validated from Vodafone (I have more than 4 pending transactions on my credit card now), called top up support and was directed to customer care, they said it should work (I received a text message correctly from them while on the call).

I bought online an e-voucher from Tesco and still no luck with that either, got an error trying to activate it online, the message displayed trying that is

"We're working hard to fix the issue, so please try again later.: 500, RC4510 - [Error ref 1w0]"

Is there anything else I can try to get this to work? Is the problem that I am trying all of this from abroad (in roaming)?

I really need the mobile to top up as it's needed for my work

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

The Vodafone Social Media Team's maybe able to look at your account @Billaf 

Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

While this is sorted out which may involve the funds dropping back onto your bank account if Vodafone don't collect payment there is PayPal or if you know someone in the UK ask them to get a top up voucher and they text you the number and try topping up that way..  Just an idea.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers

The Vodafone Social Media Team's maybe able to look at your account @Billaf 

Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

While this is sorted out which may involve the funds dropping back onto your bank account if Vodafone don't collect payment there is PayPal or if you know someone in the UK ask them to get a top up voucher and they text you the number and try topping up that way..  Just an idea.

Current Phone  >

Hello @BandOfBrothers following your advice I am trying to sort this out via live chat.

I thought the e-voucher from Tesco would have the same effect of a voucher bought in the UK by someone else...

I'll see if the team can solve online, hopefully they will be able to tell me what is wrong with my number.

Thanks for your help.

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @Billaf 

Fingers crossed.

Current Phone  >

.@BandOfBrothers, .@AnnS  Problem solved via live chat, they had to disconnect my number for a while and then reconnect it. At that point the top up via voucher went through.

They also said bank transactions will be reversed, so that should be sorted too.

Thanks again for your help

BandOfBrothers

Awesome news @Billaf   :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @Billaf 

It sounds like Vodafone may have locked your account for security reasons due to multiple top up tries, this should clear within a few days but can be removed immediately by contacting Vodafone. 

The other possibility is when you have been roaming for a considerable time, Vodafone are starting to identify customers who are permanently roaming.

Ufortunately, there is also the problem of multiple tops up using the same card, mobile top ups are considered a high fraud risk and it would als be worth having a word with your bank/credit card company.

Thanks @AnnS,

yes I already spoke to the bank as Vodafone initially said it might be down to them blocking the transaction, but they said they were trying to send payment and Vodafone refusing.

The part about roaming might be true as I have been abroad since December 17th, but looks like a short time to block an account for that. Will try and get help via Live chat.

Thank you again for your help.