Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Top up problem.

redcantona7
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I ordered a new PAYG sim. Installed it in my Samsung tablet ready for my holiday tomorrow. I topped up with £5 on Sunday and just checked it was working as normal only to find my ballance is now £3.20. How can this be when the tablet hasn't been used or taken out of the house. How can it use mobile data when permanently connected to wifi?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ToniCa
13: Advanced Member

You need to ensure that mobile data is actually switched off. If you live in an area with a good mobile data signal, then, if your domestic wifi signal falters for a moment, the phone/tablet may switch to the mobile data signal. If it then gets stuck into a task, such as updating an app, it will continue using mobile data.

And don't think that your wifi never falters. My PC doesn't seem unduly worried by the small fluctuations, but I see the signal come and go on my phone as I move around the house - if I leave mobile data on, the phone switches to it, and generally maintains the connection despite a dismal data signal locally.

View solution in original position

1 REPLY 1

ToniCa
13: Advanced Member

You need to ensure that mobile data is actually switched off. If you live in an area with a good mobile data signal, then, if your domestic wifi signal falters for a moment, the phone/tablet may switch to the mobile data signal. If it then gets stuck into a task, such as updating an app, it will continue using mobile data.

And don't think that your wifi never falters. My PC doesn't seem unduly worried by the small fluctuations, but I see the signal come and go on my phone as I move around the house - if I leave mobile data on, the phone switches to it, and generally maintains the connection despite a dismal data signal locally.