main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Pay as you go

Using Vodafone Smart Turbo 7 in the USA

londoneel
1: Seeker

Hello!  I am not a keen mobile user -- I basically have a little cheap pay as you go Nokia to use for emergency calls and texts.  I travel to the USA a fair bit, but my cheap little phone doesn't work there because the bandwith doesn't match that of the USA.  I would like to purchase a cheap pay as you go phone to use in the USA for very basic needs (emergency calls and texts).  Does anyone know if the Vodafone Smart Turbo 7 would work there? I would prefer to purchase a phone in the UK rather than in the US as buying phones in the US is a very complicated affair -- I've looked into that.  Thanks so much.

View more options
2 REPLIES 2
AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @londoneel

You will need at least a tri band phone for US roaming use, there is increasing use of the 850MHz frequency in the States. A quad band will work in some US States but not all.  If you look on GSMArena on the link below, you may be able to see the bands the phone supports and if the phone will be suitable for US use.

Alternatively, if you use Google, you will be able to find a list of tri band phones.

GSMArena

@londoneel

Looking at the specifications on the link below, this is only a quad band phone.  This means the phone may work in some parts of the US but not all.

Vodafone Smart Turbo 7 User Guide 

View more options
ToniCa
13: Advanced Member

For full coverage in the US these days you need to have a quad band phone rather than jjust a triband - there are now whole swathes of the US where you will be unable to get  a signal if you just have a triband phone. I'm utterly bemused by the advice that a lesser phone should be better than one which gives both the frequency bands used there.

See https://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

View more options