Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using a pay as you go SIM in an automated gate

KentFarmer
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi everyone, I have recently had an automated gate opener fitted to my farm gate which is operated by a GSM device. (should a visitor press the call button on the gate then the GSM device will call my mobile and I can open the gate remotely) The installer obtained and installed a Vodaphone pay as you go SIM and as far as I can tell bought a '£20 big value bundle'. I hope someone might be able to help me with a question: -

1. The big value bundle has included data and minutes and texts.  I don't need any data or texts, just call minutes so is there a better value tarrif that I could be on?

Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @KentFarmer 

If you want PAYG, the BVB is probably the cheaper option.  The alternatives are PAYG 1, pay £1.00 per day on the days you use the phone or standard 30p per minute.  Vodafone PAYG 

If you are looking for a cheaper option, SIM only might work out cheaper, take a look here:  SIM only 

As you are using a GSM device, to save the worry or having to take the SIM out of the device, I would recommend setting up an online account first, this way you will be able to add credit, renew the bundle or see how many minutes you have left.

Thanks, that's a big help! The SIM is altready in the GSM unit, can I set up an online account without taking it out?

AnnS

Hi @KentFarmer 

Unfortunately, you would need the SIM to be in a phone to set up an online account, the reason for this is a security code has to be sent to the SIM by SMS to prove validity and identity and this will need to be entered on the PC screen to complete registration.

When you log into the online account,. you will also be sent a security code and to receive the code it is well worth registering an alternative contact number, this can also be a landline or any other mobile number.  There is further information here:  Why am I being asked for a security code when I log in to My Vodafone?  

Thank you!

Hello Everyone,

I have a pay as you go SIM card which I have used in a GSM device that operates a farm gate. I initially paid for a £20 big bundle which gave me 1000 minutes of call time plus loads of data. The first month is nearly up and it is clear to me that the calls from the GSM device on the gate are quite low and I'll only require 100 minutes at the absolute maximum per month (I don't need or will use any of the data allowance). 

My question is this; I have set up an online vodaphone account to top up the SIM, what would happen if I just topped up with £5 which is one of the options....would it just give me less minutes or do I have to change my bundle? I don't want the gate to stop working at the end of the month becuse the SIM is out of credit!

Thanks in advance..

BandOfBrothers

You would need to change your big value bundle option @KentFarmer 

The info is in How-do-I-change-my-Vodafone-Big-Value-Bundle. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you!

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @KentFarmer  :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.