Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using phone abroad

martingwatts
1: Seeker

Good day.

I am currently working in the country of Georgia, and wish to use a Vodafone N8, PAYG.

For some months, I have used another Android device, but wish to use this phone for irregular SMS messages from my bank, as the new law will make that a necessity, and the other phone is not set up for abroad.

On the three occasions that I have phoned about this, I am told that all is set to work; however, the last person told me some settings needed changing, and told me to wait for 24 hours, when it would all be fixed..... it wasn't......

My profile is set to roaming, and auto find for connection, using 2/3G...... if I press the red buttons for either Make a Call, or Read message, nothing at all happens.... if I try and write a text, that seems alright, but there is no transmission either way..... sounds fundamental, but cannot see where else I can go, after more than 3 hours online about this, and reading instructions..... Vodafone has helped somewhat, especially the last person, but this will be necessary for me to continue to work here, after the beginning of September, as I need to make bank transfers..... but at present, NOTHING works!  Please help and advise, if you can.... Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

@martingwatts 

In regards to Vodafone UK they can if they wish curb / stop roaming if a period of 3 months or more has elapsed as roaming is meant for short term only.

If you insert your Vodafone UK Sim Card in another phone does it work or not ?

When you access your myvodafone is the roaming bar turned Off  ?

Vodafone UK cannot guarantee everything will work as they have no direct control or access to foreign networks.

There is no account access to help via this forum.

The Vodafone UK Social Media Teams might be able to help further via Facebook and Twitter.

Please link back to this thread with your user name when engaging with them to help speed up any help they might be able to give you.

If I've misread your post and your a Vodafone USA customer then you would need to contact their customer service as this forum is for Vodafone UK Customers only.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi there,

For my understanding, you are basically saying you're not receiving text messages when using your sim in a Nokia phone in Georgia.

My questions would be....

1. How long have you been in Georgia?
2. Is your UK number still active? If you call it, what happens? I'm wondering if your sim has been disconnected for non use (you mention you've been in Georgia for some time using an Android phone with what I assume is a Georgian sim)

4. When you put your sim in the phone, does it connect to a Georgia network?

The internet settings etc are irrelevant to simply receiving a text message. SMS doesn't use data. Georgia isn't one of the free countries so all use there would be chargible which makes me think that the sim hasn't been used for some time.

AnnS

Georgia is at the intersection of Europe and Asia and was formerly part of the Soviet Union and is a roam further destination.  The charges for using the phone in Georgia can be found here:  Travelling Abroad

If you are unable to receive text messages from your bank it may be due to the security level set up by your bank  for when you are roaming abroad on an overseas network and the text may be blocked from sending by the bank as a security measure to prevent phishing.  

It would also be worth making sure your UK SIM is active, if you have been in Georgia for a lengthy time, it may well be blocked by the network.