Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone blacklisted my iPhone X

zen135
1: Seeker

Hi

I purchased an brand new sealed iPhone X locked to the Vodafone network, on ebay last year October. It came with the usual Apple 12 months warranty and had not been activated or used. I activated it and used it with my Vodafone payg sim for a couple of months and it was unlocked by Vodafone in Dec 2018. Since then, I've been using the handset on a Three sim.

However, yesterday afternoon, suddenly it lost all network connection (tested with a few sims). Did a CheckMEND search and it's showing as blocked now.

The handset is registered to me on Immobilise as the owner since the date of purchase, and I can provide proof of the same if required. Vodafone also unlocked the phone to me last year after verifying that I was the owner.

Could someone please help asap and unblacklist my handset, as this is a bit disconcerting. I've just read reports of loads of people facing the same issue as me.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Vodafone will have I assume unlocked the phone to all networks as you had showed you had used the phone on the network for 30 days.

However unfortunately if the original owner who Vodafone supplied the phone to sells a phone and then sometime down the road then has it blocked due to a lost or stolen claim, and an attached insurance claim then Vodafone will act and place an imei block on the phone.

The only person who can ask Vodafone to remove the block is the original owner.

Vodafone wouldn't be able to engage with you as they are bound by the rules of the GDPR privacy rules / data protection. 

Sadly I've seen this type of issue occur many times over the years and which is the sole reason I won't buy phones from selling sites at all / private individuals I do not know !

Vodafone won't lift the bar for you in my opinion { although it won't cost anything to ask },  and thus you've ended up with an expensive flagship phone that's now basically an ipod.

We have a Vodafone Social Media Team here who read all posts and I'm sure they'll officially clarify their stance for you in good time. 

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @zen135 

Not quite sure how you expect Vodafone to help, this is going to be between you and the dishonest seller who has let the site down.

It would appear you have purchased an IMEI blacklisted phone sold to you on eBay and the dishonest seller has now put in an insurance claim for loss commited insurance fraud and now has double the money.

Providing you are still within the 180 day deadline of making the payment and have paid using PayPal, the first thing to do is to lodge a dispute with the Resolution Centre and get your money back that way.  However, if it was October, this may be too late and the seller has timed it well to prevent you raising a dispute.

Unfortunately, there may be little you will be able to do and will need to put this down to an expensive experience.

Here is a thread from earlier this week slightly different but answers the same: https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Unlocking/Blacklisted-2nd-hand-mobile-Help-to-remove-blacklisting/m-...