Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Who can I report a network glitch to?

ReedPR
8: Helper
8: Helper

Hi there,

I have discovered a network glitch that can keep you online even if you do not have any data and would like to do the decent thing and report it. Who can I tell?

I will not post here as I do not want anyone to abuse it.

Kind regards,

Phil

10 REPLIES 10

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Let the Vodafone Social Media Teams here catch up with your thread and they'll bring you in away from the open forum via private message and they'll help you with this @ReedPR 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi BandOfBrothers,

It's a pity you are not part of the social media team as you respond quickly. You also helped me with a prior issue I had :Winking_smiley:

Does the social media team only work part-time then? I see little new threads and not many posts to be busy for this long! I thought I would do Vodafone a favour in blocking a glitch. Maybe I should buy a new £1 Vodafone SIM card from Poundland and download and browse for free instead of paying £20 for 8gb of data!

AnnS

Hi @ReedPR 

If you have purchased a PAYG SIM for £1.00  in Poundland, for some reason the SIM's can come with a lot more than just the £1.00 added credit and also come with an additional credit though not quite sure how much. The SIM would probably also be on the Vodafone 1 tariff.

As well as accessing data, are you able to make calls and send texts?

It might be worth installing the My Vodafone Application using a WiFi connection on the phone, although you will need a data connection for the first access, this will give an indication of how much data there is left for the day and any remaining credit.  Calling 2345 from the phone would also give the balance.

I don't think this is a network glitch but probably Vodafone adding more credit to the SIM over the purchase price of £1.00.  

Hi @AnnS (sorry how do you do the replies so it highlights in red and you get an email that someone as mentioned you?)

You may have misunderstood me. Basically there are two apps easily available on the play store whereby if you connect via WiFi to them, even if you have 0mb of data, the connection to these apps stays even after your WiFi connection goes. I do not have WiFi at home and there is no other way for me to connect to the internet apart from mobile data unless I go out.

Without going into detail, these two apps use a unique way of connection and once the handshake is made, it seems Vodafone cannot stop the connection to keep you on the internet even after WiFi connection has gone.

Let's call it a network vulnerability rather than a glitch.

AnnS

Hi @ReedPR 

You won't be able to mention it's a feature which gets unlocked after reaching a rank on the forum. 

Network vulnerability is a perfect description of the problem.

So i need to 'level up' a bit to qualify for mentioning other people? Got it! How many levels have I got to go dare I ask before I get ''esteemed' status to mention someone in a post 😉

Yes I should have called the topic network vulnerability and maybe someone from Vodafone would have noticed the thread by now! 

I am very surprised this vulnerability exists. I have tested it extensively. Watching 4k videos on YouTube with 0mb data? Check. Download 2gb games from play store with 0mb data left? Check. It only stops when the connection to these apps stop which if you keep your phone charged, could be indefinitely.

Blair
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @ReedPR, sorry for the delay in responding.

Well this is certainly a strange one for me receive on todays date!

Are you sure the app’s not just finding an open Wi-Fi network and logging on to it? 

Have you tried it with Wi-Fi disabled? What about with Mobile Data disabled, does it do anything then?

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch if you want to talk to us some more,

Blair

@Blair

I can assure you this is not an Aprils Fool Joke!

First of all, have you kept the private message private from me as well as I do not appear to have one from you? I could message you if you like?

Trust me, WiFi was on when I initially connected to this app I used as I had zero data. When I left the pub, I turned off WiFi and went home. There are no open WiFi ports near my home that I could use so certain WiFi was not on.

I will explain what the app is on private messaging if we succeed in getting it to work.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry you didn't receive the private message @Blair sent you @ReedPR. I've resent this, please get in touch by following the instructions and one of the team will be in touch.