Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

bus text service 87287 ? not working?

commute
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have two  mobile devises with Vodafone PAYG I use the  bus notification system 87287 to get the latest info by text on what bus will be next at the stop I code in; this worked very well until about 4 days ago ; Neither devise is on the interet nor has any special app on it 

now I code in the bus stop code, send it  by text to 87287, I get a message to say it has been sent and received but I do not get any message back with the bus info ; any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @commute

When I get the bus I typically scan the code on the timetable via NFC which then displays the timetable for current buses so I do not use the text service. 

If it’s a charged for service for the text do you have credit. 

It may also be worth checking that no bar has somehow activated itself ie the premium rate sms bar tonshich info is under the Quick Links at the Right Hand side of the forum page. 

Check in your myvodafone. 

It may also be helpful just to check in your phones settings to ensure the number hasn’t been blocked in the phones blocking feature - if it has this feature. 

Does this happen at any bus stop ? I’m wondering if things have been delayed due to network signal. 

Customer services on 191 or Live Chat can check your account too. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@commute

I've been using the SMS service for bus times for at least 10 years - but I've always used 84268 - I've just tried it for my local stop, got back an immediate (correct) answer that there isn't a bus due today, and I think I've been charged 12p for the outgoing message, although I had 15p in mind. The incoming message was free.

I've done a web search, and it looks as though 84268 is a nationally used short code. 87287 may be London-specific, but I've found a number of recent grumbles that it isn't working, or isn't working correctly. Can you use 84268 in your area?

Annie_N

To add to the above, the bus stop codes around here are 8 letters. I had a look at the map for Angel, Islington, and discovered that the bus stop codes there were 5 numbers - but texting one of those codes to 84268 produced a result of 4 buses due in the next 15 minutes, so it looks as though 84268 can cope with bus stop codes in either format. Both of the texts came from www.traveline.info - I imagine that would be a useful alternative source of info for those who have a reasonable mobile data signal while out and about!

Edited to add: Yikes! I sent my first text to 84268 from a Vodafone number on PAYG1, and I've just double-checked that I was charged 12p for the outgoing text and nothing for the incoming text. That phone was complaining that it was low on battery, so I put it on charge, and used a phone with another network's PAYG SIM. For that conversation with 84268 I was charged 10p for the outgoing text, and 25p for the incoming text. Looking at http://www.traveline.info/about-traveline/traveline-services/ I'm utterly confused about what I should have been charged (I'm not in Scotland, Wales, Lincolnshire or Plymouth), but it does look as though there may be considerable variation between networks over the total cost of using the traveline text service.

Thanks for contributions so far...great stuff!!

Oddly, I got a reply last night ( much to my surprise!!)to my very old mobile and I sent  requests in the early hours of today from my new mobile , that got me responses of , sorry but no arrivals expected

Since trying to use both phones today  I still get the sent messages and the received message but still no  info back !!  I did try the 84268 number  and got a sent  acknowledgement reply but no message back ; you say you did a search for other  concerned customers? I just did a google search and note  threads on other sites that are seeking an answer to this problem  nut no one has yet put their hands up to say yes there is a problem with the system !!

There is ample credit on both phones and both have been used for the service with no  problem until  last week when  all came to a stop!!  I am hoping it is not due to  the TFL people changing a bus timetable  but all bus stops routes I have tried  are now no response !!  Any help out there?

Annie_N

@commute

It sounds as though it may be a problem with the TFL service for some reason. It might be worth asking them if they reckon they have a problem?

Interesting that you are failing to get a response when you try 84268, whereas I was getting a response about services in London from traveline. Clearly you are based in London - when the service was working, did the reply appear to come from TFL, or from the more general traveline? It could well be that messages sent to 84268 get re-directed to 87287 if they are sent from within the GL area.

I've had a look at the details showing on my accounts - for the text sent from the Vodafone number, I see the charge of 12p for the outgoing text to 84268, but no evidence at all that I received an incoming text at that time. That sort-of stacks with something I found while searching, which said you'd be charged normal rate for the outgoing text, and that 12p for the incoming reply would be added to the charge to the outgoing text.

With the text which I sent from another network, the account shows the outgoing text as sent to 84268, and the incoming text coming from 700020211, although the phone saw both as to/from 84268.

The TFL Ts&Cs seem to say that, if they were unable to reply, the 12p wouldn't be added to the cost of the original enquiry. Have you noticed any change in the amount you are charged for the service since they stopped replying?