Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

invalid sim

tickmatrix
4: Newbie

I bought my son a PAYG vodafone a few months ago which he uses to receive a code to login to the government gateway. It now displays "Invalid Sim" and he can't login which is a big problem. What can he do?

16 REPLIES 16

MarkWeinreb
4: Newbie

Hi, @tickmatrix. How long has it been since your son make a chargeable call or text? If it’s been more than 6 months, the sim will have gone into hibernation (i.e. not useable) after about 9 months it’s gone for good. He will need to get in touch with customer services and ask them if they can turn the sim back on.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hello @tickmatrix 

A Payg account can be deactivated if no activity such as calls , texts , data usage or top up hasn't been made within a 180 day period.

The timeframe breaks down like this …
If a person does not make an activity as described above in 90 consecutive days then Vodafone make contact via sms to advise. Then if after 45 days no usage is made they send a final notification and then give another 45 days to make some activity.

Then the Payg account could be suspended and the number and account credit lost.
The mobile number is typically quarantined for a length of time and then put back into the number pool to be redistributed to another person.
If a Payg account is suspended then a person has 90 days to ask Vodafone to re activate the Payg account via 0333 304191,  191 from a Vodafone phone, 

If the above does not apply as activity has been made then do contact customer services or speak with the Vodafone Social Media Team's via Vodafone Social Media Team's Link  and they'll check the account.

Other troubleshooting tips are …

1. Clear browsers history and cache files.

2.  Try another browser.

3. Try the sim card in another phone as a process of elimination.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I checked with customer services, they've deactivated my sim.

Wouldn't it be better if vodafone could send a warning email beforehand.

They gave me no warning, now I can't login to HMRC because they send a code to this mobile first.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @tickmatrix, as @BandOfBrothers has mentioned, we do sent alert SMS messages informing the SIM user that if they don't make a chargeable call/text or use their services within a certain amount of time we would disconnect the service. A lot of our Pay as you Go customers have unregistered accounts which include not having an email registered and we'd be unbale to communicate the alert via that method. But we appreciate and fully take on-board any feedback.

If the account holder could follow the link that BandofBrothers has provided to contact us on social media we can look into the possibility of reconnecting the service 😊

just checked inbox on mobile, no sms just a sales "its good to keep connected ...", surely you could automate this by getting your servers to check if there's an email and if so send a warning?

But I just want to try and activate it so we can communicate with HMRC so will follow your advice. thank you.

already spent 40 minutes on live chat but they couldn't help.

we're unable to get hold of HMRC to update the mobile number so we have serious problems now. Have escalated to Vodafone CEO.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I appreciate that this is important to get sorted @tickmatrix - Our process currently is to send the alert via SMS not email, but like I said we will take the feedback on-board.

Whether we can reconnect the number is dependent on how long it's been disconnected and if the number is still available. For us to check this, we'd need you to get in touch with us on social media via the link above.

ok Evie I appreciate your help. I have sent a message to vodafone via twitter "my phone sim has been deactivated, unfortunately I didn't receive a warning SMS and I need it to receive codes from HMRC that I need for authorisation.. 

But not sure if I should provide details e.g. mobile number