Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

pay as you go

PeterBren
1: Seeker

i purchased a sim card last thursday, can i use it in a unlocked mifi dongle, so i can use it for internet.

any advice is appreciated

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

As long as you have or input the correct Vodafone Apn settings in the dongle then yes it should work. 

Won't harm to try. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @PeterBren

With the SIM being voice and texts you may have a problem using the SIM for data only but providing the SIM fits it should work.  You are going to need the correct APN settings for PAYG and the software.  Please see the links below.

I’ve just got a new Mobile Wi-Fi device. How do I get started?

Why can’t I connect to the internet on my Mobile Wi-Fi device or data dongle?

Mobile Broadband Software

As you are PAYG, you will also need a data pack. Details here:  Add a Data Pack

If you go to your dashboard, you will be able to instal the correct settings and download the correct software from there, the SIM it will be activated as soon as you make a connection to the internet.

If you want a data connection device, to get a data only PAYG SIM, you would need to purchase a data device where the SIM comes part and package with a 90 day data allocation or when the allowance has been used.  There is further information here:  Vodafone R218 Mobile Wi-Fi hotspot

Hope you are able to get connected but if you have any problems, please come back to the forum for help.

ToniCa
13: Advanced Member

I assumed from how he described the situation that @PeterBren had bought a phone SIM rather than a data SIM. As far as I'm aware, there's no reason why a phone SIM shouldn't be used in a dongle (though I think it's not permitted to use a data SIM in a phone??), but he won't be able to buy a data pack for it, instead it's a case of using a BVB (or a Data Extra), or possibly PAYG1.

It depends a bit on anticipated level of usage, whether a phone or a data SIM would be the better bet. The data packs last upto 90 days, or did last time I looked, which again has some bearing on which to choose.

EDIT: Sorry, maybe I misread some of the original thread, but it looks as though we're all in agreement on the type of SIM in question!