Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

roaming

jabbi15
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, I am here in Dubai now,I got the sim and mobile before leaving from  U.K  but didn't active there. I can't receive a call or text message eeven I have balance 5 balance in sim but I can make calls here in dubai and back to U.K. Please advice. ##~##

8 REPLIES 8

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi. The sim needs to be activated on the Vodafone UK network before it will work. Are you coming back soon or can you send it to someone in the UK who could activate it for you?

Thanks for reply. Well I don't have plan this year. Is there any alternative way to active ? Please advice as it's not possible to send The sim back to U.K  Thanks 

63johnw

Hi. As far as I know there is no other way to activate.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@jabbi15

If you can make calls, but not receive them, it sounds as though the SIM is partially activated. Sometimes you can force a refresh of the connection by switching to a different network, then back to the one that you are currently connected to.

It may not work, but it's worth a try, as it doesn't sound like you have many options. As you obviously have a wifi connection, you might be able to get some help from Live Chat - see http://www.vodafone.co.uk/contact-us/ - but they will also be up against the difficulty that you aren't connected direct to the Vodafone UK network.

Ya I can make a call but can't receive call or sms. I don't understand this logic. I have changed the network several times. Any way thanks for your reply. Thanks 

Annie_N

I'm not sure that there is any particular "logic" - because it wasn't connected to the UK network, the SIM isn't fully activated, and arbitrary bits are and aren't working. 

I've a vague memory of some other trick which sometimes works, but I haven't been able to remember the details - I'll try to think of some other terms to search on. 

Annie_N

@jabbi15

Something else has struck me - you could have an arbitrary selection of bars turned on on your account. I've just looked at my online account, and there are separate bars for Call and text while abroad bar - incoming only and Call and text while abroad bar - outgoing only. If you've been able to set up an online account - via https://www.vodafone.co.uk/myvodafone/faces/home - you may be able to control this yourself. Alternatively, Live Chat should be able to help.

The other thing is that I've now located this info among my notes: occasional reports of cases where customers who have requested service settings, have had the activation commands 'piggyback' on the text that comes back. To which I've added try texting 'web' to 40127. The short codes sometimes work within Europe, but I doubt whether they do in Dubai. However, if you don't try it, it certainly isn't going to work.

Thanks