Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Re: Credit File

Alexagbebi94
2: Seeker
I took out a contact in September 2016 and under the 30 day guarantee I cancelled the contract as I was unhappy with the signal. I called Vodafone, returned the handset via post, and shot an E-Mail to confirm the handset was received and the final bill date. Everything was paid. In Dec/Jan I got a text (I gave Vodafone an alternate number to contact me on) saying my contract had been cut off as I hadn't paid an overdue balance. I called Vodafone who said there was outstanding money owed because of extra data used. I asked why this wasn't taken off the final bill and I didn't really get an answer. I paid the overdue amount immediately over the phone. I asked if this would affect my credit report and he said no as he was unsure as to why the additional balance hadn't been taken and that I'd called to pay immediately. Two months down the line, surprise surprise my credit file is showing a late payment. It is the only thing on my credit file stopping me getting a mortgage. I was assured this wasn't my fault and that this wouldn't happen! How can I pay a bill I didn't know existed? I received no E-Mail/Letter about this bill that I apparently owed, just a text which I called and paid within 15 minutes. How can I get this removed and sorted out?!
4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Alexagbebi94

Usually after the final bill is taken a person should receive a Sorry Your Leaving Letter and a £0 bill which confirms everything has ceased. 

Then an and only then is it ok to cancel the Direct Debit. 

I appreciate and understand how damaging a default and or marker can be ,and the difficulty in having one removed from a Credit File.

It's important to speak with Customer service first to clear up why this has happened before the Credit File Support Team can help. 

Below in Bold is a help guide I have written which explains which department to ask your case to be referred to - i.e 'Vodafone Credit File Support Team' - and how to add a 'Notice of Correction' via Experian. It is Free to add the Notice of Correction.

This gives you the tools to add your own notes up to 200 words on your Credit File to explain why the Default is showing. It would only be worth adding this if you think the default is wrong and shouldn't have been applied. 

Please take into consideration that a Default will only be removed if it was reported on your Credit File incorrectly.

Alternatively all posts are read by a Vodafone Team here who maybe able to help. They'll engage via private message. 

Link > Default-on-your-Credit-File-and-How-to-add-a-Notice-of-Correction.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Alexagbebi94
Hello,

Thanks for your input. I did receive Sorry your leaving and that I owed nothing. I then cancelled direct debit. The customer service agent who I spoke to said that he didn't know why the additional over spend on the balance didn't show up. He wasn't very helpful.

Can I also add, it is NOT showing as a default. On my credit file it says 'Late Payment'.

Do you have the contact details for the credit file team?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Alexagbebi94

Please contact us using the details in the Private Message I've sent you.

I took out a contact in September 2016 and under the 30 day guarantee I cancelled the contract as I was unhappy with the signal. I called Vodafone, returned the handset via post, and shot an E-Mail to confirm the handset was received and the final bill date. Everything was paid. In Dec/Jan I got a text (I gave Vodafone an alternate number to contact me on) saying my contract had been cut off as I hadn't paid an overdue balance. I called Vodafone who said there was outstanding money owed because of extra data used. I asked why this wasn't taken off the final bill and I didn't really get an answer. I paid the overdue amount immediately over the phone. I asked if this would affect my credit report and he said no as he was unsure as to why the additional balance hadn't been taken and that I'd called to pay immediately. Two months down the line, surprise surprise my credit file is showing a late payment. It is the only thing on my credit file stopping me getting a mortgage. I was assured this wasn't my fault and that this wouldn't happen! How can I pay a bill I didn't know existed? I received no E-Mail/Letter about this bill that I apparently owed, just a text which I called and paid within 15 minutes. How can I get this removed and sorted out?!