Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

01709 917461 said they were Vodafone

dutyhog2
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

01709 917461 said they were Vodafone when calling me on 15th March. They are not on the list of official numbers, so I didn't want to deal with them (making some sort of free offer that would cost me £10 a month!).  Can anything be done to list them if they are genuine or ban them if not?

Gordon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@dutyhog2 You're absolutely right, this isn't on our list of recognised numbers. I'm going to feed this back so it can be looked into and we can find out for definite what needs to happen. If it needs to be added to our list we'll be sure to do this, if not the necessary actions will be taken to stop future calls. 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention 😊 

View solution in original position

25 REPLIES 25

ToniCa
13: Advanced Member

Colleen said she had referred it for investigation, so it looks as though it was discovered to be genuine, and added to the list.

But it's pretty poor practice to be asking for login details if they initiated the call. I never give out that sort of info unless I initiated the call - even if I've started the sequence, if my bank calls me back I won't provide ID info, but call them again to continue the discussion. 

Josh
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Emilygarlinge The advice from @ToniCa is spot on there, Colleen originally picked up the number to investigate but since this we've confirmed the number has always been genuine and belongs to our Sales and Marketing teams.

In regards to the numerical order of the list, I'll gladly feed this back to our website team internally to see if this can be bettered. I completely understand finding the number in the list of numbers we'll call from is difficult, we'll get this passed on as soon as possible.

Hi Josh. 

Out of interest how often do Vodafone check/change their marketing preferences? This number has called me 6 times in the last 3 days, when I went to text STOP to 9774 I realised I had actually already done so in 2015. Could you let me know why that is no longer valid? Thanks

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

The request to opt out of marketing calls can take up to 28 days to complete @alibrod, so you can still receive calls for a while after texting 9774. 

It's strange that you're still receiving calls after requesting to be removed previously and we'll be happy to investigate this for you. As we'll need access to your account to do this, please contact us by following the instructions in the private message I've sent you.

This number isn't on your recognised numbers page.

Furthermore, when they called me last week it showed up as a "Potential Fraud" number, and when they called me up just now my 'phone displayed a large tick and "Vodafone".

ToniCa

This beggars belief. In March it wasn't on the list, in May it was (I saw it), now it has gone again.

Maybe it is a Vodafone number, maybe it isn't - googling the number produces a pretty mixed set of answers - but this level of uncertainty over "recognised numbers" leaves the door wide open to fraudsters to call from any old number, insist that they're Vodafone, and grumble that some other office has fouled up yet again with updating the list.

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@bf1_ I've taken a look the list of numbers we use and you're absolutely right, it doesn't seem to be on there. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. You can report nuisance calls and texts online 😊

ToniCa

This is getting just faintly silly. In March it wasn't on the list, in May it was (I saw it), in June Josh said "we've confirmed the number has always been genuine and belongs to our Sales and Marketing teams", now it has gone again, and Colleen appears to be inviting us to treat it as a maker of nuisance calls.

PLEASE, PLEASE, what is the truth of the situation?

Adam
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@ToniCa You can get a call from any number pretending to be Vodafone, or any company for that matter. I don't think it's an uncertainty whether this number was used in the past, especially thinking it can open the door the potential fraud. 

The number isn't on our recognised numbers list, but this doesn't mean it hasn't been used in the past. You're able to block certain numbers calling you if you don't want to get this number calling. You can also change your marketing preferences with us if you wish. 

ToniCa

@Josh wrote on 18-06-2018:

@Emilygarlinge I can confirm this is one of our recognised numbers, it appears to be from our sales and marketing team.

If you wish to stop receiving these calls, please text STOP to 9774. This will change your marketing preferences and you'll no longer receive further contact.

At that point it was on the list. Are you saying that in the meantime some fraudster has taken over the number? The point I'm trying to make is that Vodafone is making quite a good job of confusing us. Clearly it would be best to bar calls from all the numbers on the list, if they could have been handed over to a fraudster within 3 months.