Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

20gb data 30 days sim

jp590
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello. I'm thinking of using Vodafone in various Europe countries mainly in UK for 9 months. I have a few questions beforehand.

If I use 20gb data 30 days sim, what is the maximum data speed? It should be higher than 3mgbs.

Also, can I use data and calling outside UK or do I need to pay international roaming fee??

Lastly, can I use my sim card by top-up monthly? And is there any data overuse fee?

Just answering part of these questions will be helpful.

Thank you very much.

3 REPLIES 3

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @jp590

If you mean a 30 day contract SIM, you will need to meet the credit check criteria needed for a monthly contract and you may need to consider PAYG. 

All Vodafone contracts come with 4G and you should be able to get 5G where available. 

With global roaming there is no additional charges for EU roaming. However, if you exceed the data allowance there will be extra charges. 

As I am using my phone, I will return to thread when I am on the PC tomorrow morning and leave you some links and additional information to include PAYG Big Value Bundles and topping up on a monthly basis. 

BandOfBrothers

@jp590 wrote:

Hello. I'm thinking of using Vodafone in various Europe countries mainly in UK for 9 months. I have a few questions beforehand.

If I use 20gb data 30 days sim, what is the maximum data speed? It should be higher than 3mgbs.

Also, can I use data and calling outside UK or do I need to pay international roaming fee??

Lastly, can I use my sim card by top-up monthly? And is there any data overuse fee?

Just answering part of these questions will be helpful.

Thank you very much.

Hi @jp590 

1. Data speeds depend on the network your latching to an abroad network can fluctuate.

You can check your UK Postcode in the following link to check for expected service 》 Status-checker.

2. Vodafone Abroad  / Roaming Bar usually comes de activated so Yes you can roam for a limited period. Around 3 months at a time usually although I've seen some roam for longer periods without any issue. 

More info in 》 Costs/travelling-abroad/index.

3. A Pay Monthly  / Sim Only contact is paid for every month via a direct debit. A Credit Check is required and a UK Bank Account is needed.

The myvodafone app and myvodafone online has data bars available to use to stop going over the data allowance and thus incurring costs for going over.

Your phone may have an alert warning system and usage bar of it's own you can use.

Extra Data etc can be added via 》 Pay-monthly-extras.

Alternatively......

You can opt to use Vodafone Payg which you can top up.

There is Payg1 which is you pay what you use or a Big Value Bundle which comes with allowances for 30 days and allowances rolls over.

There is no credit check required for Payg and you can still roam. Just ensure Vodafone do have roaming enabled and or check in your myvodafone and phones connection preference settings.

You can add extras via 》 Pay-as-you-go-extras.

More info here 》Vodafone Payg and Vodafone pay-as-you-go-plans.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @jp590 

Firstly thank you to @BandOfBrothers  for stepping in and leaving the information, much appreciated from a fellow CC.

For your roaming needs you need to follow this link Vodafone Global Roaming

As you are only going to be in the UK for 9 months, I would keep to PAYG, where there will be no credit checking necessary and opt into a Big Value Bundle details here: Vodafone Big Value.

and make sure you fully activate the SIM before leaving the UK, roaming will be already activated for PAYG.

If you exceed the monthly allowance, you will need extra credit, the charges can be found here: PAYG call charges

but providing you keep watch on the My Vodafone Application you will be able to keep track of your usage.

Further information here: Welcome to Vodafone

If you have an unlocked phone, a further option would be to get a local SIM for the EU destination you are visiting.

If you have any further questions please return to the forum.