Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

3rd Party Charges

Craston
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I'm contacting you on behalf of a elderly relative, towards the end of July they have noticed extra charge of 4.50 on their bill, does not show shortcode just the name of the 3rd party that putting the charge on each week TrimXS, they did not sign up to this company, cant understand how Vodaphone facilitates this clearly is  a scam. This is doubling their bill and would like Vodaphone to stop this company from putting on this charge each week. The only other option is to cancel their contract all together as they are out of contract and look to contact the regulatory bodies that look into these matters.  I like to know if anyone else has had this problem.

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Craston 

I totally understand your frustration with this.

What I would suggest is to look at the following link which has official help on what to do when something like this happens.

psauthority.org.uk/for-consumers.

Some suggest to send a text saying STOP to the company taking the money which usually helps if they are a responsible business but some say it may not be wise to send STOP as they then know that the number is a Live number which can bring further issues.

However if this is a responsible business they then should stop the subscription. 

It's the business that's taking the funds responsibility also to return funds.

Nuisance-calls-and-texts _What-can-I-do-about-nuisance-spam-or-marketing-texts.

What can happen sometimes is a person is innocently surfing the internet and hits something inadvertently or innocently on a page and this then leads to a subscription.

Vodafone are not to blame as on balance some people intentionally and want to sign upto such things.

Vodafone also has Premium Bar services set out in Premium-rate-SMS-FAQ.

As the contract has run full term and then be on a 30 day rolling contract then yes as a last resort your parents / account holders can give 30 days notice to leave.

I personally wouldn't ask for a Pac to move the number to another network if the company has hold of the number as the subscriptions could follow but saying that it really shouldn't if the agree to cancel the subscription. I'll leave that decision up to you.

How-do-I-get-a-PAC-or-STAC-code-to-leave-Vodafone.

How-do-I-cancel-my-Pay-monthly-contract.

I wish you all the best with this situation.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @Craston 

I have done a little research for you, follow this link to get the company details to stop this message: http://www.trimxs.co/home/login.  You will need to use the mobile number to log in, once this has been done you will be able to get unsubscribed and get the money refunded.

You also need to follow this official advise from Vodafone here: https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Account-bill-and-top-up/My-allowance-usage-and-charges/Premium-rate-c...

As you can see Vodafone advise adding the restriction bars provided to stop these unwanted reverse charge third party messages through the online account and My Vodafone phone application.

Also further official information here: Premium Rate Services

.As you do not have a shortcode, you are unable to text STOP, if you have the number it is strongly advised to use this, it used to be the case where companies would know they had reached an active mobile number but this is no longer the case, the company will know the message has been received.

I would also like to add this if you cancel the contract and port out the number to an alternative network, you need to get these messages stopped first, otherwise the messages will follow the number.

I hope you get this sorted with the company sending these messages.

Hi

I looked at the link TrimXS would they be able to just put the mobile number in and unsubscribe, how do they know they can trust this site.

They did a chat with Vodaphone and were given a contact number 01494750678 don't know who this is and is it a premium rate number.  They asked for the premium numbers to be blocked what I would like to know is this the same as Charge to bill bar. Very confused alot information out there but not always clear of where to go to get this sorted.  If they decide to cancel would not be taking the number,  as they having been told they could still get billed as it is they have the number.

AnnS

Hi @Craston 

The number you have been provided by Vodafone looks like an ordinary 01 number, so not premium rate.  I would definitely try calling them after the bank holiday weekend.  The link I have provided should also stop these messages and you should have no need to worry about trusting the company to stop.  These should also refund all charges.

If they continue to add charges, just complain to the regulator (link provided by @BandOfBrothers )

You need the charge to bill bar and I am sure there is also a bar for premium rate services.

The Social Media Team will get to the thread and make absolutely sure you have all the advise and information to secure the account and stop these unwanted services.

Hi

I checked the number 01494750678 on PSA and it comes up for Tap2Bill I think they have a number of subsidiary there is also a 5 digit code and email address, so I will pass this on, will also advise that they make sure Charge to bill bar. Thanks 

Hi

The links you provided for TrimXs doesn't bring anything up, and the help button asked for name email and mobile number, which my relative is relucant to give as can find no information in regards to this company.  They were given a contact number 01494750678 which we checked on PSA website comes up Tap2Bill -Multi Companies gave a 5 digit code 87066  text put STOP ALL came back unable to deliver so the information on PSA checker is not up to date great. Contacted Vodaphone again to check if Charge to Bill ban they confirmed it was, kept a transcript of the conversation, only because sent a tweet on Vodaphone official Twitter account and the person I was speaking to said if a customer has requested a bar onthe account this will stop all charges, If there are any furture charges after the bar is placed we as Vodaphone would be liable as you've requested this service is stopped.  It seems nigh on possible for any one to track these scammers down, whats more annoying is that the mobile companies use Payforit supposed to be safe but obviously its not, there is no accountability. Its very frustrating that its the consumer has to do all the running around, when mobile companies  allow these scammers to take money for innocent customers accounts.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Craston If you've contacted our team on Twitter and still need assistance for your relative after speaking with the service that's generated the charge, please get back to us @VodafoneUK. Please include your username and link to your post, as this will save you some time and will also allow us to help quickly.