Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

5 Hours on Live Chat with no resolution

ANDREWJWARD
4: Newbie

I am currently roaming in South Africa with Global Roaming Plus. Since arriving 3 days ago I have been unable to make outbound calls. Text and data and inbound calls work fine. 
So I started a live chat and the level of incompetence is astounding. Firstly I was told that it must be a local network issue. Wrong I tell them because my wife's phone, which is in my name also is working fine. So after numerous request to turn my phone off, take the sim out etc still no further forward. So they eventually seek help from third line and advise that they will reset all network connections on my phone and everything will be ok in 30 minutes. So despite making it absolutely clear that it was MY number that had the problem and without giving them my wife's number - they reset that number. And now that which had been working fine has the same issue. No outbound calls. My one number for my Apple Watch now appears to be disconnected. I have a spend limit I didn't request and now two phones with the same issue and unable to call our son at home. 

so after 5 hours on online chat and going round and round in circles with the same request to turn now both phones off take the sim out etc I am in a worse position and neither phone now seems to accept inbound calls. So when I asked to complain I am told I will get a call. Not sure how as neither phone is accepting inbound calls!  The level of incompetence and inability to address the issue is staggering. Most appalling customer service ever.  All I want is the service I am paying for and to be able to make and receive calls.  Clearly too much to ask!!!!!

12 REPLIES 12

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I'm sure you've tried all the conceivable troubleshooting tips @ANDREWJWARD so I won't  ask you to re try them.

What we sometimes see is because Vodafone have no direct control over networking in another country except from checking your account settings and permissions its difficult for them to diagnose the exact issue or issues when roaming. Its not a guaranteed service.

I always suggest to people to use any available wifi and if the phone is unlocked to all networks then consider using a local sim card in the interim.

You could try the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

A person can raise a complaint complaints.  If they wish to.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Exactly the same the same thing is happening to me at exactly the same time.  Clearly there is a fault somewhere which they have not picked up.  You are right the servicing quality is disgraceful.  Luckily I am heading home today after 4 days offline.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @petetobin@ANDREWJWARD, It sounds like your phone's hit the account spend limit, this is added to all accounts to help avoid customers receiving a bill they're unable to pay. We can raise, or switch this off if you like. As we'll need access to your account to do this, pop us a private message through Facebook or Twitter and we'll be happy to help.

As for you not being able to make or receive calls @ANDREWJWARD, if you can let me know the make and model of your phone, we'll be happy to get through some steps to help you get reconnected. 

Please don't add insult to injury. We both said we are on Global Roaming Plus so the calls should be free and that text and data are fine.  My balance is £60 and I don't have any limit set.

Not sure how when calls and texts are included in roaming plus that this can be a spend limit issue when the problem occurred. 

Given that when they tried to sort connection they somehow cancelled my two contracts and my future charges are now £336 I can see this may be an issue now.  I lost any discount on both plans, they changed the end date to 12 months time and charged two early termination fees. 

I raised a complaint got a call back saying that this would be sorted and it has not been. So responded saying complaint is not closed as far as I'm concerned and currently awaiting response to this. 

a complete shambles!! 

@andrewjward did you ever get this fixed?  I am 4 weeks in and still can't make calls when overseas.  I wrote to Nick Jeffery and I now have a complaint handler assigned to my case but they can't figure out what is wrong.  I have now been in 3 countries and it doesn't work in any of them.

@andrewjward did you ever get this fixed?  I am 4 weeks in and still can't make calls when overseas.  I wrote to Nick Jeffery and I now have a complaint handler assigned to my case but they can't figure out what is wrong.  I have now been in 3 countries and it doesn't work in any of them.

No not when I was in SA. Vodafone were useless!!!  Guess I'll have to see when next able to travel abroad! 

Maybe try an EU number from the UK and see if that works.  I am still not working despite now being with the Director's Complaints teams for 4 days.